What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [split] Tab Suggestion

[split] Tab Suggestion
Author: Message:
Poom

Ya-Ha!!!!

33 / Male / –
O.P. RE: [split] Tab Suggestion
quote:
Typical users won't use the ungroup feature more than maybe once a month if ever, trust me
I don't think so. Girls that spend most of theri time IMing would have multiple cons at the same time and they would, most likely, ungroup the tab to avoid changing the tab very often. Besides that, if you have a key combination and you don't have any button for it, many would not know that there is really one. Of course, there is the right-click thing, but it is not noticable enough for a user, trust me.

quote:
Oh dear... you can do both.
So, have you got my point yet? I think that it is very straight forward. C'mon, admit it. =_=a

quote:
There should be an option to close all tabs at once, I'm not discussing that. I'm just discussing it _should not_ be another close button. Better than that a key combo like Ctrl-Esc. Sure, typical users don't really know much about combos, but they don't have any option to close all coversations anyway, except maybe for closing or logging out Messenger. Adding another close button will be more a problem than a solution.

I've said this and I will say it again, then. Typical users won't know Ctrl+Esc. OK, think about it, majority of Plus!'s users are not registerred to the forums and won't bother finding every shortcuts. Most teen agers, at least the ones I know, don't even know many options in Plus! because they don't bother looking for the ones that are not visualized. My friend does not know that there are those "Hello", "My patience has its limit...", and so on sounds untill 3.5 comes. Most of them are worse.

I have actually got a better idea, putting the close button at the right of each tab, for closing the specific tab.

quote:
I and any minimally smart UI programer would bother adding key combinations, yes. Combinations are part of the User Interface.
You should think that adding too many buttons to a GUI scares people. And I don't think it's necessary to add a specific button for this rather obscure feature. It's not fundamental and will be rarely used anyway. Those who would ever want to use it, will discover there are ways to achieve it whether using the context menu or the key combination.

I understand your points, but still it doesn't make sense to bloat the interface with buttons. I bet for adding only those that are really needed.
From this, I can pretty much guess that you are most likely around the 30+ users. Sorry if this is wrong. Well, sir, then you havn't known that most, I mean 80% would not know those shortcuts and would not try to use them. Besides that, I still can't see how 3-4 small buttons can be such "bloats". >.> Seriously, it takes even less space than the DP frame. I have tried to tell you how useful ungroup buttons are, though you still don't understand it. Well... maybe it talking to two people (or more) at the same time is very rare for you, but not for those who spend their time to CHAT, yes, those girls. I actually think that people would like tab features with a new tab button, a close tab button, and an ungroup tab button than having only the navigation arrow. They would be "Shouldn't there be buttons for these shortcuts? My friends won't even know these shortcuts. Oh well, gotta tell them." While, if you have those buttons, they would probably be like "Oh, we can also do these stuffs. Cool, this is actually handy. I thought that there would only be tabs."

If you hate those buttons so much, there could be, in preference, options to disable those buttons, though I actually find them very useful in many situations.
09-01-2005 11:01 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: