What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Restoring sound files

Restoring sound files
Author: Message:
einum

Freude am Fahren

49 / Male / –
RE: RE: Restoring sound files
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by raceprouk
Make sure you put all the DAT files in 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Messenger Plus!\Custom Sounds'.
Information needs to be readded to the registry as well...

----------------------------------------------

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
To get them back you need to convert all hashnumbers (#0AAD15FB90B7.dat) into regkeys and make a registry file of the complete list (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Patchou\MsgPlus2\Nobody\CustSounds\<hash>). Next step is import that registry file into the registry, then in soundlibrary (Plus icon in main MSNM screen > open soundlibrary) select every single sound and click "edit sound"..by doing this Plus! will read the other information.
Important part of this procedure is NOT to add any other information of the sound to the registry. The only thing to add are the hash numbers as subkeys, thus not the Category, Flags, Name nor any other registry values.
There is actually a lot more to it (eg: if you have private sound libraries), but the above procedure will work for normal sounds in a global sound library.

If this all seems like 'Chinese' to you, then the only thing you can do is to manually add it one by one by typing "/sound #xxxx" into a conversation, this will (redownload and) re-add the proper information to the registry.

xxxx = the sound id. This is actually the filename of those .DAT files. (thus if the filename is "#3584AACA7F1A.dat", you type "/sound #3584AACA7F1A")

PS: to avoid such things in the futur, make a soundpack first (or even as a simple backup) so you can always import the pack back again!
URGENT:

I am going to reformat my hard-drive very soon, and I am of course doing some backups. I have been able to back up all emoticons, moods etc., but I also want to keep my custom sounds, including those who I have imported myself AND those I have recieved from friends.

If I back up the Custom Sounds folder from Document and Settings, AND export the CustSounds registry key, will it the be plug and play pasting the folder and importing the regkey after a reinstall? Will all the custom sounds be available?
09-17-2005 01:28 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Restoring sound files - by postman pat on 07-31-2005 at 07:49 PM
RE: Restoring sound files - by RaceProUK on 07-31-2005 at 08:13 PM
RE: Restoring sound files - by CookieRevised on 08-01-2005 at 02:40 AM
RE: Restoring sound files - by RaceProUK on 08-03-2005 at 04:54 PM
RE: Restoring sound files - by CookieRevised on 08-12-2005 at 11:28 PM
RE: Restoring sound files - by meep on 08-26-2005 at 01:57 PM
RE: Restoring sound files - by CookieRevised on 08-26-2005 at 02:49 PM
RE: RE: Restoring sound files - by einum on 09-17-2005 at 01:28 PM