What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Hooking up the TV to my laptop

Hooking up the TV to my laptop
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop
[OFF TOPIC]

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
Some reading
As far as I can read from there, those tests are more compatibily tests for media aka hardware, than they are compatibily test between DVD-R and DVD+R...

In fact, theyself say:
quote:
We think that the critical factor in any assessment is not the underlying specifications, how stringent or relaxed they are, but rather the particular hardware offered during their implementation.
This means, to put in a rediculus extremis, if you test a DVD+R disc on 100 DVD-R players, of course it will be incompatible compared to a DVD-R and the DVD-R would come out as "most compatible".

Or to put it in another way, if there are 100 excellent brands of dvd-r's and only 1 crappy brand of dvd+r, than the dvd-r will come out as a winner, and vice versa. This doesn't say a thing about how succesfull your burn would be.

Thus, what is shown there isn't a test to see how many burns fail or are a succes on a DVD-R compared to how many burns fail or are a succes on a DVD+R. Because there is no difference between those formats for that, because it depends on the type/version and brand of burner and/or brand of disc you're using.

What is shown there is how compatible a specific dvd player is with different brands of dvd discs. Only it is put in a rather strange way (on the front page).

quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
personally i have never found a dvdplayer/dvd-rom/ps2 that will read only dvd+R, and i think the only execption to that would be the xbox.
Don't compare game consoles with dvd players though. There are far more different brands and types of dvd players than only the ones included in a PS2 or Xbox. It isn't because those game consoles support one format or the other that all players do, far from it...

In fact, if it would depend on anything at all, it would be mostly depend on the brand of dvd player you have/buy.

There really is no true objective technical solid argument or advise to give as to what type to use (if you have the choice); they both are equal and equally as much used. It only depends on what you prefer, would have, or would use the most (or your friends or family or...)

It is not for nothing that there are still two different types. If one type was used more than the other, or clearly better than the other, the industry would already came to a single format...

Anyways, this is going seriously off topic I think... so I'll sush... sorry for the off topicness...

[/OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 11-07-2005 at 06:37 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
11-07-2005 06:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by Hybrid on 11-06-2005 at 08:58 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by Dempsey on 11-06-2005 at 09:03 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by rav0 on 11-07-2005 at 06:53 AM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by YottabyteWizard on 11-07-2005 at 08:34 AM
RE: RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by rav0 on 11-07-2005 at 09:24 AM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by CookieRevised on 11-07-2005 at 05:32 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by lizard.boy on 11-07-2005 at 05:45 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by CookieRevised on 11-07-2005 at 05:47 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by lizard.boy on 11-07-2005 at 05:57 PM
RE: Hooking up the TV to my laptop - by CookieRevised on 11-07-2005 at 06:21 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: