What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Display on Desktop

Display on Desktop
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Display on Desktop
quote:
Originally posted by picturethis73
But I would like MP! to build the list of "online" people from the right-bottom from my screen to the right-top (this way, I have the smallest list of online people directly available).

suggested long time ago, but in practice not really possible if you want it so everybody can use it in their own way (at least, not without using dodgy and complex coding. Which, in the end, wouldn't be to everybodies satisfaction anyways).

This because of several practical reasons. One would be (though I bit hard to explain fully): how is Plus! going to determine which contact needs to be place where in the list, column or row when your contacts are randomly placed on the desktop (because, afterall, that is how they are placed for Plus!; it is your own order).

For all Plus! knows, the gaps which are created because a contact is offline are simply places where you do not want a contact. Or vice-versa, the available place on the desktop could be a place to put a contact on who suddenly comes online. And what defines which space of that 1024x768 big desktop is Plus! going to use?

There is simply not a strait forward way to determine which space on the desktop could be used for contacts, let alone that there is a defined way in which order they must appear (one user could want them to apear alphabetically, another want them to appear as they come online, another as how he has set them when he attached them to the desktop, etc etc...), and what "order" of place is used, heck how do you define "order"? Left to right, right to left, bottom to top, diagonal, etc?

All this said, it isn't totally impossible though. But it would require much code for actually not much result. And above all, everybody has his own likings in how they must appear, the order of appeareance, where the contacts could emerge, etc.

If this is put into a Plus! feature, it would be a rather restrictive feature. Maybe usefull for you, but not usefull to many others. Either way, it would require a total rewrite of the code, I imagine.

quote:
Originally posted by picturethis73
Anyway; is there any method of changing the width of the desktop-contacts all at once? I hoped the "Set as default..." option would do that, but it doesn't...
It does though. But only for new additions to the desktop. That is what "set as default" means; it uses those settings as the default settings for anything you add later on. This followes the (logic) scheme which is used in any program (it doesn't mean "override every setting you have done so far")...

;)
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-22-2005 02:10 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Display on Desktop - by picturethis73 on 12-21-2005 at 09:44 PM
RE: Display on Desktop - by GiantSpider on 12-21-2005 at 09:52 PM
RE: Display on Desktop - by L. Coyote on 12-21-2005 at 11:34 PM
RE: Display on Desktop - by Voldemort on 12-22-2005 at 12:20 AM
RE: Display on Desktop - by picturethis73 on 12-22-2005 at 12:31 AM
RE: Display on Desktop - by Voldemort on 12-22-2005 at 12:41 AM