What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Battery Overvoltage!

Battery Overvoltage!
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Battery Overvoltage!
Hi,

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Adeptus
The voltage setting on most universal laptop power supplies is determined by the plug adapter being used.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Absolutely not true. Plugs have got absolutely nothing todo with voltage settings... If they do, it would be a crappy adapter.
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Personally I never ever use so called "universal adapters".
I can see that you don't use them, indeed.  It is unfortunate that not having first-hand experience doesn't stop you from arguing with people who do, though.

Kensington is one of the best known manufacturers of laptop accessories.  In fact, there's at least 70% chance that Kobol has a Kensington product; there are some others, but Kensington is by far the most common brand.

Please take a look here.  Note the line that says: "Provides the right power for iPods, mobile phones, portable DVD players, PDA's etc when used with correct tip".   This is what a tip looks like:

[Image: K20048-13006.jpg]

Take a look here to find a searchable database for the various tips available.  That's quite an assortment, ranging from laptops to cell phones.  Surely you wouldn't think the adapter (which has no buttons or switches of any kind) sends the same voltage to all of them?

So, "this is how it works":

If you were to look at the connection between the tips and the cable, you'd see four pins.  I can take a picture, if you are interested -- I own one of these things. 

Why four, when only two are required for power?  The other two pins are used by the tips (which they call SmartTips) to communicate to the power supply what voltage to provide.  Simple and ingenious.

This is, of course, irrelevant to Kobol's problem and I ordinarily wouldn't bother to respond.  However, this is not the first time it has happened.  You seem to have habit of assuming people are wrong when, in fact, they are talking about something you don't have experience with or don't understand.
11-18-2006 01:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Battery Overvoltage! - by Dane on 11-12-2006 at 11:18 PM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by RaceProUK on 11-13-2006 at 12:01 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by Dane on 11-13-2006 at 12:19 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by Voldemort on 11-13-2006 at 12:33 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by Dane on 11-13-2006 at 12:37 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by TheSteve on 11-13-2006 at 02:03 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by Dane on 11-13-2006 at 02:17 AM
RE: Battery Overvoltage! - by RaceProUK on 11-16-2006 at 05:30 PM