What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk

Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk
Author: Message:
Mike
Elite Member

Meet the Spam Family!

31 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk
quote:
Originally posted by MeEtc
The other option is to find a second CD (or DVD) drive, and just burn everything to disk for your backup.
Hmmm, I can't do that since it is a laptop, and I will have to use an external drive, and the laptop has only USB 1.1 hubs :( (do external cd/dvd rw drives come to a firewire edition too?)
quote:
Another suggestion is to get your hands on another version of Windows(XP Pro or MCE, or I can send you a link for an eval copy of Server 2003 R2) and install it on a second partition/disk.
I can't do that, since the laptop supports only 5GB, and I'm not sure if 5GB are fine for WinXP to run...
quote:
If you have no access to a second disk or OS, you can also try re-installing your own copy of Windows, but to a different directory. As I have never actually done this, I don't know how reliable it may be.
I have done this some years ago, and it has worked, but I want to use this as a last resort :P (don't have a particular reason, just don't really like it)
quote:
Your best option would be to install a new OS to a second disk, then copy all your data to it.
Yeah, probably...

---------

Here's what I've done so far:

I have booted from a Ubuntu live CD (It is really slow, but I don't blame Ubuntu, since I only have 256mb of ram, and a swap file can't be used, and everything is loaded from a cd).
I mounted my NTFS drive as read only with help from #banana at IRC.
Then, I installed Samba to enable file sharing between Windows/Linux OSes.
So far, so good, but when I try to access the drive I shared via Linux, I'm asked to provide a username/pass :S
I tried things such "ubuntu" and "root" (with the password left out empty) and they don't seem to work.
I have found this, but I haven't tried it yet...
YouTube closed-captions ripper (also allows you to download videos!)
11-28-2006 04:11 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-27-2006 at 01:42 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by MeEtc on 11-27-2006 at 01:55 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-28-2006 at 04:11 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by surfichris on 11-29-2006 at 01:44 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-29-2006 at 04:25 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: