What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk

Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk
Author: Message:
surfichris
Former Admin

RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk
quote:
Originally posted by Mike
So far, so good, but when I try to access the drive I shared via Linux, I'm asked to provide a username/pass (Smilie)
I tried things such "ubuntu" and "root" (with the password left out empty) and they don't seem to work.
I have found this, but I haven't tried it yet...
The shared drive as in the network shared drive on your Windows computer from within Linux?

You need to enter a username/password that is valid on the other computer.

Alternatively on the other computer you need to set Guest security permissions to "FULL" and make sure that on the sharing permissions page either "Allow users to change my network files" is checked or if you have advanced file sharing turned off, the Guest account also has permission.

[edit] If you mean access a drive you have shared via Samba on a Windows machine, replace your Samba configuration file with the following:
code:
[global]
    netbios name = name_of_server
    workgroup = WORKGROUP
    security = share
    encrypt passwords = yes
    os level = 17

[myshare]
    path = /
    create mask = 0700
    read only = no
    guest ok = yes
    browseable = yes

Restart Samba and it should hopefully work then.

This post was edited on 11-29-2006 at 01:52 PM by surfichris.
11-29-2006 01:44 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-27-2006 at 01:42 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by MeEtc on 11-27-2006 at 01:55 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-28-2006 at 04:11 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by surfichris on 11-29-2006 at 01:44 PM
RE: Cannot boot into Windows XP after running chkdsk - by Mike on 11-29-2006 at 04:25 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: