What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » quick question about my computer.

quick question about my computer.
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: quick question about my computer.
The drive letter of the system volume can be changed, but it is not a very good idea -- there are paths stored in registry and configuration files that refer to your current drive letter and will all need to be changed.  If you just change the drive letter and don't do anything about that, you will end up with an unusable Windows installation.

I've heard of people fixing that by doing a registry search for the old drive letter (e.g. "H:") and manually changing all instances they could find to the new letter, and having some success.  However, if you just reinstalled Windows and haven't yet done much with it, then it's probably wiser (and less trouble) to just reinstall.

You can avoid needing the DOS boot disk MeEtc suggests -- just boot from the Windows CD and delete all your partitions from there.  When you only have empty space remaining, quit setup (F3) and reboot before you continue with the installation.

I would also recommend that you physically disconnect the card reader during the installation.  If it emulates an IDE device (as some of them do), it could become a problem again.
11-29-2006 02:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
quick question about my computer. - by TheMusicPirate on 11-29-2006 at 12:39 PM
RE: quick question about my computer. - by MeEtc on 11-29-2006 at 01:16 PM
RE: RE: quick question about my computer. - by Jesus on 11-30-2006 at 06:28 PM
RE: quick question about my computer. - by Adeptus on 11-29-2006 at 02:30 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites