What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » Forum & Website » Handling redundant threads

Handling redundant threads
Author: Message:
WDZ
Former Admin

– / Male / Flag
RE: Handling redundant threads
quote:
Originally posted by Haz
Okay, I've been meaning to bring this up for some time now and as one more redundant thread has just been posted, I decided to finally do it.
Hmm, I should have closed that thread yesterday. I was busy keeping an eye on lutonsteve2 and didn't take the time to look at the threads segosa linked to.

Sometimes there's a reason why a seemingly redundant thread is left open...

- The existing threads are quite old, like more than 6 months.
- The existing threads are closed.
- The topic is different enough that the discussion wouldn't fit in an existing thread.

quote:
As far as I see (and please do correct me if I'm wrong), a very common way of dealing with a redundant thread around here is someone posting a link to an existing thread and possibly the redundant topic being moved to T&T, and that's it.
When a moderator does that, they're probably not expecting the thread to stay on-topic or active in T&T. Moving it there is basically just a way to give it a "slow death." :P It can still serve the purpose of redirecting the original poster to the existing thread(s), but it will likely be pruned in a few days. Closing the thread is really an afterthought, since it's already in the trash can.

quote:
Originally posted by .2007
or when you submit a thread it automaticly searchs for a title that is the same or close to) that one then it will come up with the other threads then it will say are you shure you want to post that thread?
I don't really like that idea... it would be a computer's list of guesses based on the words used in the subject field, and therefore unreliable... :^)

quote:
Originally posted by Shadow
As sad as it sounds with some things i find it difficult to use the Forum Search feature :S
You're right, the current search script sucks, and is not easy for inexperienced users to use.
01-23-2007 06:32 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Handling redundant threads - by Aeryn on 01-23-2007 at 03:52 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by plus on 01-23-2007 at 04:31 PM
RE: RE: Handling redundant threads - by Aeryn on 01-23-2007 at 04:49 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Lourix on 01-23-2007 at 05:03 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Eddie on 01-23-2007 at 05:10 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by WDZ on 01-23-2007 at 06:32 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Oxy on 01-23-2007 at 06:38 PM
RE: Handling redundant threads - by Nathan on 01-23-2007 at 06:50 PM