What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » RemoteControlling my PC, need help please

RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please
quote:
Originally posted by Woraug
Since remote desktop and remote assistance don't work for me, I've installed PC Anywhere.  I just don't know what the hell to do with it.  I basically just wanna set it up so I can access my own machine from anywhere.  I didn't find much help on the PC Anywhere site though.
It has been a few years since I've used pcAnywhere, so this is not going to be terribly detailed -- the basic idea is you need to install the software on both computers,  then start pcAnywhere in host mode on one, in client mode on the other.  There is an option to have it start in host mode automatically and accept connections when Windows starts.  You will also have to set a username and password, separate from Windows username and password.  Overall, it is more complicated and more trouble than Remote Desktop.

If you couldn't make Remote Desktop work, it was most likely because you didn't open/forward port 3389 correctly on your firewall or router.  You need to forward ports for pcAnywhere as well (5631, 5632 by default), so you may be better off just taking the time to figure out what the problem was with RD.

For the second time in this thread, let me emphasize that you should not rely on testing anything involving port forwarding from another computer on your own local network -- that often won't work for other reasons.  Have someone else test it for you.
02-17-2007 05:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by aNILEator on 02-13-2007 at 04:41 PM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by Adeptus on 02-13-2007 at 04:52 PM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by aNILEator on 02-13-2007 at 07:31 PM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by Adeptus on 02-13-2007 at 07:50 PM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by aNILEator on 02-14-2007 at 06:23 PM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by scott2010_h on 02-16-2007 at 03:24 AM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by ShawnZ on 02-16-2007 at 03:28 AM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by Woraug on 02-17-2007 at 02:43 AM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by Adeptus on 02-17-2007 at 05:11 AM
RE: RemoteControlling my PC, need help please - by alewington on 02-17-2007 at 10:18 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: