What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Unable to delete duplicate contacts

Unable to delete duplicate contacts
Author: Message:
mikewazowski

O.P. Unable to delete duplicate contacts
Hey all

I used to have the penultimate version of MSN Messenger installed on my PC but my hard drive bust and I had to buy a new one. Before I did though I was able to copy a load of data from my old drive and thus copied it back over to the new profile I created on my replacement drive.
I then downloaded the new Windows Live Messenger but obviously contained in the info I copied over from my corrupt drive was the list of my contacts somewhere and having downloaded the software it found them twice and therefore each contact got duplicated.
I thought I could just go through them and delete the ones that weren't signed in (which proved difficult as not all of my contacts use MSN regularly so have to wait until they sign in to tell which one is the "live" contact) but each time I was exiting it didn't seem to overwrite anything and so the next time I launched Messenger the duplicates were back again.

What I would like to know is does anybody out there know where abouts on my hard drive my contacts list is stored? And if so do you also know if it is possible to simply delete duplicate entries at this location to avoid all this, or is there any other way I can rectify this problem (except deleting everybody and asking them to re-add me of course!).

Thank you very much for your time
02-26-2007 08:20 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by mikewazowski on 02-26-2007 at 08:20 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by Vilkku on 02-26-2007 at 08:47 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by mikewazowski on 02-26-2007 at 09:02 PM
RE: RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by Vilkku on 02-26-2007 at 09:09 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by Voldemort on 02-26-2007 at 09:30 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by mikewazowski on 02-26-2007 at 11:12 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by Voldemort on 02-27-2007 at 01:35 AM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by mikewazowski on 02-27-2007 at 04:35 PM
RE: Unable to delete duplicate contacts - by mikewazowski on 02-27-2007 at 06:10 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: