What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Messenger Lock staying enabled

Messenger Lock staying enabled
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
no. it is boss protection. your boss must now know you have messenger installed, opened, chatting, or whatever.
If your boss is clever then he would think to control Add or Remove Programs panel about WLM. Please think carefully about things I wrote. If you didn't sign in why is it opened and does it look at your boss from the screen, if opened then you can fully close Messenger, not necessarily lock it?
quote:
Originally posted by Voldemort
i think it is too much work for a single translation line.
Do you know programming? Patchou knows whether it is too much work or not? Also people are familiar to such greyed out texts in Options of Messenger, so why can't it be in MP!L too?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns

1- Firstly, Plus! should be programmed for locking Messenger only when signed in...
No!.... It would otherwise make the point of having a locking feature useless. Not being able to lock/hide messenger would be a bug and making it an incomplete feature.
I think, being able to lock Messenger when not signed in is exactly a bug, because when you didn't sign in,  there is no meaning to keep Messenger opened, esprecially in a risky environment? Lets say it can be locked while not singed in. Then why are preferences when unlocking Messenger of last signed in user valid?
quote:
quote:

... i.e. if you click on "Lock Messenger" from Plus! menu it should display a window saying like this: 'You must be signed-in to lock Messenger', (but if Messenger tries to sign you in again after a connection failure, then it should be able to be locked whenever needed)...
What you wrote in the parenthesis goes against what you wrote before.
I think you didn't understand what I mean. Think carefully. If you are talking about technically possibility of that feature, then state that please.
quote:
quote:

... because some sadist people like me, , can lock Messenger with a password on a public computer in a school or internet cafe and then go away from there.
This is actually a bad idea since setting a password for the lock will not protect you. The password feature is just a quick first defense, it is dead easy to work around the password as many threads in this forum already explained.
Many people don't know this forum or even such easy things to unlock Messenger. We can't want all people to visit this forum when they couldn't open Messenger on computers. It should be locked when signed in, because to be signed in give reasons to wait users for them to come back to their computers.
quote:
quote:

Also it is meaningless to lock Messenger when not signed-in, isn't it?
It makes absolutely sense to wanting to lock Messenger when you're not signed in.

The locking feature is not about keeping people out of your Messenger. (Note again: that is not possible anyways, even with a password!!!!), but is mostly about temporary hiding Messenger from view from the people who might be standing behind your back. eg: your teacher.
But you are confusing stuff. If you didn't sign in why is it opened, especially in that risky environment????
quote:
quote:

Similarly signing out when locking messenger sounds unnecessary too.
No.... People might want to sign out when they lock Messenger, to prevent conversations from continuing for example (eg: because the teacher might reset your computer before you have the time to unlock Messenger, close conversations, etc). There are many other reasons...
If you don't want to continue your conversations why don't you quit Messenger, even together with locking Messenger? Please state those many other reasons. I want to learn them.
quote:
'Appear offline' and 'offline' are certainly not the same at all and both have their uses... They should both be there.
I think 'Appear Offline' should be there. But I couldn't find important reasons to keep 'Sign out' there.
quote:
quote:

Also when users sign out, their shortcut combinations for Messenger Lock should be disabled.
No!... For the same reasons stated before, you might wanna lock/hidemessenger when you're signed out.
But I don't think you have reasons to lock Messenger without signed-in.
quote:
quote:

... because this leads to annoying situations like one mentioned in the first post of this thread.
This is not because of the shortcut not being disabled.
....like....
quote:
You forgot that many different events can occur even if you are not signed in.
What are they?
quote:
quote:

Also if a user enabled Debugging options in his preferences and after he/she signs out the item Show Script Debugging can be removed from Plus! menu
Absolutely not. Scripts still run when you sign out and the window should be available.
Then maybe stating that it is global to all users would be better.

Thanks for your ideas.
04-13-2007 07:32 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Messenger Lock staying enabled - by trevaaar on 03-26-2007 at 12:30 AM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by Locoguy87 on 03-30-2007 at 12:50 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by ahmetgns on 04-11-2007 at 04:33 AM
RE: RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by CookieRevised on 04-13-2007 at 12:05 AM
RE: RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by Apatik on 04-14-2007 at 01:20 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by Voldemort on 04-12-2007 at 08:35 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by ahmetgns on 04-13-2007 at 07:32 AM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by Apatik on 04-13-2007 at 07:27 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 10:45 AM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by ahmetgns on 04-14-2007 at 11:43 AM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 11:59 AM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by dan1elle on 04-14-2007 at 02:10 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by CookieRevised on 04-14-2007 at 04:34 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by ahmetgns on 04-18-2007 at 03:13 PM
RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by Apatik on 04-18-2007 at 10:40 PM
RE: RE: Messenger Lock staying enabled - by ahmetgns on 05-03-2007 at 02:43 PM