What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group

All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group
Author: Message:
Chris4
Elite Member

32 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Very interesting mail though.... Thanks for posting it...

So, this didn't helped either? (it lists even more Messenger related stuff to delete need to update my posts regarding this apparently...)

Could you keep in contact with this technical support guy and report that it doesn't worked? I'm very interested in this...

Sorry I havn't kept up to date. I didn't e-mail them back, but I will do for you :tongue:.

No, it didn't help resolve the problem.

quote:
(if you did all that and it didn't worked, I almost must be a remote problem and not locally, no?)
Yeah I guess so.

quote:
btw: did you mentionned the cause of all this to him, that 'prank' I mean?
I did, see below.

This is the e-mail I sent to the technical support guy:
quote:
Service :  [Service:]
  Windows Live Messenger

What type of problem do you have?  [What type of problem do you have?]
  I can sign in, but I need something fixed  []
  Working with Messenger Contacts or Groups  []
  other  []

Full Name:  [Full Name:]
  Chris Lozeau

What e-mail address would you like a response sent to?  [What e-mail address would you like a response sent to?]
*hidden*

Primary e-mail address/member ID associated with the account you are inquiring about:  [Primary e-mail address/member ID associated with the account you are inquiring about:]
*hidden*

Be specific when describing your problem. The details that you include enable us to promptly send you the most likely solution to your issue.  [Be specific when describing your problem. The details that you include enable us to promptly send you the most likely solution to your issue.]
  I fell for a prank, by putting something in my personal message. This then makes it so you can never sign in to WLM again. To fix it, you have to delete C:\Documents and Settings\CHRIS\local settings\application data\microsoft\windows live contacts\[MY EMAIL]

So, I deleted that folder, then I could sign in. One problem - All my contacts have been put into 'Other contacts' group.

I thought that the information about which group my contacts are in was saved on the WLM servers, correct? Not my PC? So I can't see why deleting that folder would do anything, it's only cache, isn't it?

So basically I'm stuck with all my contacts in the 'Other contacts' group. Is there any way you could help me get them back to how they was? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Chris

Which Version of Messenger are you running? (Within Messenger, click the ''Help'' menu and then select ''About'' to find the current version.)  [Which Version of Messenger are you running? (Within Messenger, click the ''Help'' menu and then select ''About'' to find the current version.)]
  Windows Live Messenger 8.1

What is the frequency of the problem?  [Frequency of the issue:]
  First time

Where are you trying to connect from?  [Where are you trying to connect from?]
  Home

If you have a firewall, which one?  [If you have a firewall, which one?]
  Windows XP Internet Connection Firewall

What type of internet connection do you have?  [Type of Internet connection:]
  Cable Modem

Which operating system are you using?Windows XP: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-GB; rv:1.8.1.3) Gecko/20070309 Firefox/2.0.0.3  [Which operating system are you using?]

Which browser are you using: Firefox2.0.0.3  [Which browser are you using]

Location: en-gb - English (Great Britain)  [Location: en-gb - English (Great Britain)]

I just replied saying it didn't work, just deleted everything to do with WLM, etc.
Twitter: @ChrisLozeau
05-14-2007 11:32 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 08:48 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by CookieRevised on 05-05-2007 at 08:56 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 09:08 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by CookieRevised on 05-05-2007 at 09:13 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 09:46 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Sunshine on 05-05-2007 at 10:45 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by CookieRevised on 05-05-2007 at 11:11 PM
RE: RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-05-2007 at 11:14 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by CookieRevised on 05-05-2007 at 11:24 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-08-2007 at 09:22 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by CookieRevised on 05-09-2007 at 01:45 AM
RE: RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-14-2007 at 11:32 PM
RE: All contacts been put in 'Other contacts' group - by Chris4 on 05-16-2007 at 02:45 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: