What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures?

Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures?
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures?
quote:
Originally posted by DDR Midian
I optimize all of my gifs, which is the reason I can get them down to 250KB in the first place, unfortunately the best way to optimize a gif is merely to take a bunch of frames out, leaving you with choppy animation. I do all of my work frame-by-frame anyway, so it ensures none of them go on wasted space.
fair enough.

Though the best way to omtimize GIFs is actually to reduce color bleeding, aliassing and removing speckles.
I've optimized a massive amount of GIFs before and by altering some stuff (like amount of colors, removing color bleeding, etc) you reduce a very big amount of KBs, and most of the time without any visible loss.

quote:
Sure, bandwidth is always going to be an issue with anything like this, but I was hoping it would be something that would stand on the same level as increasing the character limit in messages does, and the way the oversized display pictures add-ons did a couple of years back.
That tool which enabled oversized display pictures was also one of the reasons why MS included failsafes and protection against such abuse;

What I mean is, if there is going to be something which works around the limit, the chances are high that MS will not be happy with it and will include even stricter protection/limitations.

quote:
Considering the very first gif I tried to use was apparently too big I thought that this would probably end up annoying quite a lot of people and increasing the size a bit would be a popular request.
maybe.

Though All I could say is be realistic. A normal GIF of 96x96 would be around 5KB, a GIF from a real photograph would be around 10KB.... So 200 KB is very big.

DPs are not meant to be used as your local video store, to show full fletches movies.

This is the same story as why people request the 96x96 limit to be increased because in that way they can show their photos better to their contacts. The DP is not meant as a photo gallery and people should learn to use the sendfile feature if they want to send a photograph to their contacts....

eg: on this forum, many people use animated avatars. Which are also GIFs. The image size limit on these forums is even bigger than 96x96, yet almost everyone manages to make nice looking GIFs under the 100KB...

It all boils down to being realistic and using for what it was meant to be used. And optimizing stuff and being creative.

----------

This said, I perfectly understand where you comming from though. I too would be frustrating if I make an animated GIF and it ends up being too large in filesize. But I still wouldn't want an increase in the limit because of that though. It just means I need to be a bit more creative.

------------

PS: may we see these cartoons you're making? I'm getting curious now :P

This post was edited on 12-11-2007 at 06:43 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-11-2007 06:17 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by DDR Midian on 12-10-2007 at 11:34 AM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by Patchou on 12-10-2007 at 07:10 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by DDR Midian on 12-11-2007 at 12:40 AM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by CookieRevised on 12-11-2007 at 07:07 AM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by DDR Midian on 12-11-2007 at 02:32 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by Menthix on 12-11-2007 at 02:40 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by CookieRevised on 12-11-2007 at 06:17 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by The Alpha Gamer on 12-14-2007 at 08:30 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by Jimbo on 12-14-2007 at 08:36 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by CookieRevised on 12-14-2007 at 08:58 PM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by markee on 12-15-2007 at 05:38 AM
RE: Remove limit on/raise maximum filesize for animated .gif display pictures? - by riahc4 on 12-17-2007 at 02:17 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: