What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » 80072745 Error and Netgear Router

80072745 Error and Netgear Router
Author: Message:
Mit51

O.P. 80072745 Error and Netgear Router
I've been getting an instant 80072745 error as soon as I try to sign in to windows live messenger for the past 2 days.

The trouble shooter says everything is fine, I removed and re-installed messenger, I tried deleting the 'shared' registry key, I ran messenger fixer and fixed all problems and I've run Winsock Fix too but still it doesn't even seem to try to connect.

I then downloaded aMSN (opensource MSN client) and it too couldn't connect so it's not a Windows Live specific problem more of a problem with the MSN port or protocol connecting I guess.

I disabled windows xp's firewall (no other software firewalls used) and still no luck.

I use a netgear DG834GT ADSL router so I disconnected that and connected a USB ADSL modem direct to my PC. Messenger then worked fine. I then tried a different router and again Messenger worked fine. Going back to the Netgear router it still doesn't connect.

So I updated the firmware on the router (no good) and then reset it to factory defaults(still no good!) and also powered everything off and left it off overnight.

Messenger on another PC connected to the same router works fine so I am totally stuck for an answer!

It can't be a Windows Live Messenger Fault as it works fine on a different router and alternative Messenger client fails too on Netgear router and that suggests it's not a Windows fault either.

That leaves it being a router fault but I have reset and updated the router and have no other connection issues except Messenger and my other PC using the same router has no problems.

So it's just one certain PC connecting to one certain router that's the problem but as I have reset the router to factory defaults and reset it I just don't know why this one PC on that router cannot connect to MSN?

Edit:
Just installed another IM Client and can connect to MSN by using http in this client but no direct TCP/IP but Windows Live Messenger doesn't seem to have this connection option (unless you're using an HTTP proxy server)

Any ideas?

This post was edited on 01-04-2008 at 03:20 PM by Mit51.
01-04-2008 02:30 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
80072745 Error and Netgear Router - by Mit51 on 01-04-2008 at 02:30 PM
RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router - by welsh_pcwhiz on 05-15-2008 at 11:58 AM
RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router - by burntoutmouse on 07-14-2008 at 10:41 PM
RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router - by proxistor@hotmail. on 09-28-2008 at 06:33 PM
RE: 80072745 Error and Netgear Router - by bockovic on 04-28-2010 at 07:20 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: