What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller

[Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller
Author: Message:
Dastion

O.P. RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller
Thanks a ton, this works perfectly.  And honestly should do for what I need, however, if you would like to try and implement the 9 and 8 again qualities I'd be glad to have them.

The way the 10 again quality works is that anytime you roll a 10, you not only count that as a success, but you get to reroll that die for a chance at an additional success.  The 9 and 8 again qualities are the same, except for they simply expand the range of rerolls. 9 again gives you a reroll on 9 & 10 and 8 again gives you a reroll on 8, 9, and 10, which essentially says that every success you roll gives you the chance for further successes, and if those rerolls hit the correct number they in turn get rerolled, giving you the potential to just keep on rolling until the qualifying numbers no longer show up. Note that you ONLY reroll the single die that got that quality, not the entire pool.

The default would be to reroll any 10s, however if you impemented this it would work this way:

With 9 again quality I could type..

/roll 4 9, would roll 4 dice and reroll 9s and 10s. So i would see...

Dastion rolls 4 dice [7, 8,9,10--7,8] and gets 4 successes(9 again).

Now, lets say we have the 8 again quality,

I would type /roll 4 8 and get:

Dastion rolls 4 dice [7, 8,9,10--7,8,9--1,2] and gets 5 successes(8 again).

However, if you were to go this far with it there would be 2 more qualifiers that would likely be needed. the First is for the Chance roll.

A "chance" roll is when you roll without a dice pool, i.e. dice penalties reduce your pool to 0 or you simply don't have the required stats, so you are allowed to roll only a single die.  A chance roll is the only time you can dramatically fail, if you roll a 1 while doing a chance roll you dramatically fail and something bad happens, and you only succeed if you roll a 10, everything else is a normal simple failure. The pool does have the 10 again quality, so you can potentially get more than 1 success on a chance roll, it's just very unlikely. The likely command for this would be "/roll chance"

The other one would would be a roll without any qualities, a roll that works much like the current implementation of hte dice roller you put up and rerolls nothing for you..since there are a few situations where you don't even get the 10 again quality.  Something like /roll # none or /roll # 0 would work well, "none" would probably be best since on a normal d10 the "10" is a 0 on the die and could cause confusion with that to other players.

This post was edited on 02-02-2008 at 11:29 AM by Dastion.
02-02-2008 09:14 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by Dastion on 02-01-2008 at 01:30 PM
RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by phalanxii on 02-02-2008 at 12:34 AM
RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by Dastion on 02-02-2008 at 09:14 AM
RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by phalanxii on 02-02-2008 at 12:17 PM
RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by Dastion on 02-02-2008 at 01:17 PM
RE: [Request] Multiple d10 Dice Roller - by phalanxii on 02-03-2008 at 03:03 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version