What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Projectors: LCD or DLP

Projectors: LCD or DLP
Author: Message:
Volv
Skinning Contest Winner

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Projectors: LCD or DLP
I honestly have no idea so my opinion probably shouldn't be taken in high regard BUT based on a quick wikipedia search on the 2 types you mentioned, it would appear that LCD is the superior and more modern technology than DLP which seems like an almost ancient method of data projection.

LCD uses a light source which is split into 3 primary colours and passed through liquid crystals which are stimulated by small electric currents and in turn limit the amount of red/green/blue in each pixel to produce an image.

DLP uses a similar light source which is split into 3 primary colours (depending on the type, single-chip projectors take turns sequentially flashing red, green and blue lights which can sometimes be seen as a flickering of each individual colour) and has a series of mirrors which rapidly rotate in order to reflect the colour on to the display or not.
Since DLP has literally hundreds of thousands of moving parts (up to 3 mirrors per pixel) and can possibly cause the 3 colours to flicker it seems like it might be the poorer choice.

As I said, I haven't compared either of them in action but based on this information it would appear that LCD was the way to go if you want a longer lasting and better quality device.

This post was edited on 08-04-2008 at 12:56 PM by Volv.
08-04-2008 12:49 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Projectors: LCD or DLP - by bio_hazard13 on 08-04-2008 at 10:40 AM
RE: Projectors: LCD or DLP - by Volv on 08-04-2008 at 12:49 PM
RE: Projectors: LCD or DLP - by ShawnZ on 08-04-2008 at 03:02 PM
RE: Projectors: LCD or DLP - by Spunky on 08-04-2008 at 03:32 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites