What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » Scripting » MultiChat vs Group Chat

MultiChat vs Group Chat
Author: Message:
wincy

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
You can't even check on the number of contacts (oChatWnd.Contacts.Count). Because that doesn't say a thing about the chat window being a group chat or a multi-contact conversation either. In fact, even a group chat or a multi-contact convo could have just 2 people: you and 1 contact. So checking on the number of contacts in the conversation isn't a reliable way either to see if it is a group convo, a multi-contact convo or a simple one-to-one chat.

Well.. if there are more than 2 contacts it's certainly a "multichat" or "group" conversation, and i guess that Group is used only if at least 2 people other than me are online. Otherwise my friend will contact me with a normal chat window. (A)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wincy
I think that the only difference between them is that multichat opens automatically, while group windows must be opened manually by the user.

Nope. You can start a multi-contact chat too.

When i start a multi-contact chat i open a single conversation windows, and then add other contacts.
When i open a group, is because i want to chat with people that are already there.
That's why if a window opened by me with more contacts already inside it should be a Group. *-)

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by wincy
Maybe checking a relation between OnEvent_ChatWndCreated and OnEvent_ChatWndReceiveMessage?

I don't see how that is going to help you though.

A multi-contact conversation automatically opens when, after adding me, someone write a message.
A Group conversation only opens when i start it, so maybe if there is no delay between OnEvent_ChatWndCreated and ChatWndReceiveMessage that could be a multi-contact...?
^o)

quote:
Even if you read the window caption, you can not derive from it if it is a group chat, multi-contact chat, or one-to-one chat.
That's what i was thinking:
One-to-one chat has contact's name and email as title.
Multichat has more values (name <email>, name <email>, ecc...) as title.
Groups have only a single name.

quote:
The only possible way I see, for now, (and very maybe) is using the Accessibility APIs to see what kind of (windowless) controls are present on the chat window. Because in a group chat you have slightly different controls/objects. But this isn't as easy as it sounds, and I don't know how reliable that is because of the fact that people can skin conversation windows.
Do you mean the top toolbar buttons ("photos, files, videos, call, etc..")?

I know that actualy there isn't a certain method of doing this, but i was wondering if there are some tricks or "things that statistically could work for most people"...

I'm using a function like:
http://www.msgpluslive.it/scripts/view/96-Group-Conversation-Warning

which warns you when you're invited in a multi-chat (not Group, like script name says..). But, as warmth told me, it's quite annoying if confirmation window appear also when I open a Group conversation...

Thanks for your help :)
11-16-2009 10:08 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
MultiChat vs Group Chat - by wincy on 11-16-2009 at 03:53 PM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by CookieRevised on 11-16-2009 at 06:33 PM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by wincy on 11-16-2009 at 10:08 PM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by CookieRevised on 11-17-2009 at 02:51 AM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by wincy on 11-17-2009 at 12:12 PM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by CookieRevised on 11-17-2009 at 05:00 PM
RE: MultiChat vs Group Chat - by wincy on 11-17-2009 at 06:56 PM