What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » ihaterogers.ca toast popup

ihaterogers.ca toast popup
Author: Message:
ji_hyun_jun

RE: RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
quote:
Originally posted by Spunky
It sounds like the users of that forum know a fair bit about what they're doing
I don't entirly agree though! At least not those guys in those latest posts in that thread who linked all this to Messenger Plus!, at least in the way they linked it to Plus!.

If you read that thread a bit better, you'll notice that they very quickly jump to the conclusion it is Messenger Plus!, but mostly based on assumptions like:
- "Plus! installs spyware, and ...."
- "The popup's close button is the same as the close button used on a Plus! toast."
- The other guy said so

But those assumptions are seriously wrong and mostly fueled by other/old heresay about Plus! and its sponsor and not at all based upon actual facts. eg: A same close button (which is actually just a standard image) doesn't say a thing, not in the slightest way, about the relationship between the two. A lot of programs use that close button image because it is a standard image. And many programs use such kind of popups/toasts too.

On NeoWin, the guy who claims it is a Plus! toast because "the close button matches up", even says the close button is actually NOT exactly the same. So...

But people do not read all the posts in detail and only see what they want to see. As a result, everybody now seems to jump on the bandwagon of Plus! "having a big secuity hole", "the setup has a bug in it" and it is "Plus!'s sponsor fault" (all quotes from those threads) and all the old heresay comes boiling up again. While the popup certainly does not come from the Messenger Plus! addon itself or its old depricted sponsor.

My apologies if you mistook what I said. I meant that we were more than your 'average' user. Perhaps I'm not as technically inclined as others, but RFD does indeed have a lot of 'geeks' on it whether or not you'd like to believe that is up to you. However, insulting the intelligence of another community when you don't know them is quite rude.

I would disagree that the assumptions made were fueled by Plus!'s previous reputation or anything of the sort. It's quite obvious that a lot of us use and trust plus, it's not jumping on the bandwagon of bashing it. The fact that it pops up on the bottom right corner of the screen the (exact) same way an msn notification does certainly gives us some reason to suspect that it was something related to msn. Especially given when the only programs that were open at the time for one of the users was MSN and Word, it didn't seem likely that it was from a browser.

quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised

The claim by ji_hyun_junthat it is useless to have a screenshot of the popup is not correct either. For stuff like this, having a screenshot of the popup can help a great deal to help identify the culprint. Especially if it can not be reproduced on demand.

Not to mention that he finds it "mysterious" that "scans didn't showed up anything" and that they are all "quite security aware" seriously raises my eyebrows. No offense though, but if they are "quite security aware" and "know what they are talking about" they should know that scans quite often do not show up stuff (an quite often give false positives too). Especially when it comes down to such popups, as they can not be distinguished from normal programs. People way too often rely on such scans and popup killers and swear by them. And that is quite the opposite of being "quite security aware" , but that is imho.

Yes, scans can show up nothing, but the fact that it went through the number of different people that it did and not be found by any of the different programs by various users certainly means more than just false positives or something that was missed by a single scan. It was in my opinion, that a screenshot wouldn't help much based on what popped up. As seen above, it's as I described it: a box that pretty much says hate rogers? go to ihaterogers.ca that appears on the bottom right much like an msn notification. Perhaps maybe you can get something out of that picture, but I just didn't see any use of it. I could very well be wrong, but that was just the way I saw things. 

I'm not here to argue with you about what goes on in Msn P! or about whether or not I'm technologically knowledgeable in this. I'm certainly not at the level of what you're mocking me to think of myself to be. But logically, given the information we have, Messenger Plus! does seem to be the only other thing in common with ALL the users with this problem other than being members of that forum. I certainly don't think our claims are absurd or unreasonable based on what we've come up with so far.

I too, would like to get to the bottom of this. While I certainly don't believe that Messenger Plus! has any malicious intent, the plugin is certainly our biggest lead so far. Thank you for your hard work.

This post was edited on 12-09-2009 at 02:36 PM by ji_hyun_jun.
12-09-2009 02:35 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Nestea80 on 12-07-2009 at 03:52 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Rolando on 12-07-2009 at 06:40 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Spunky on 12-07-2009 at 11:54 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by CookieRevised on 12-07-2009 at 03:17 PM
RE: RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by ji_hyun_jun on 12-09-2009 at 02:35 PM
RE: RE: RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by CookieRevised on 12-09-2009 at 05:40 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Patchou on 12-07-2009 at 04:59 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by roflmao456 on 12-07-2009 at 08:49 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by mr_poopyhead on 12-08-2009 at 04:28 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Nagamasa on 12-09-2009 at 02:47 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by vaccination on 12-09-2009 at 11:04 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by CookieRevised on 12-09-2009 at 11:11 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by prashker on 12-09-2009 at 11:19 PM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by Nagamasa on 12-10-2009 at 12:58 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by prashker on 12-10-2009 at 01:08 AM
RE: ihaterogers.ca toast popup - by vaccination on 12-10-2009 at 08:25 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version