What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not????

Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not????
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not????
quote:
Originally posted by frazzledazzle
Yeah don't get me wrong I'm not having a go...and I appreciate your advice, I just don't think you should categorically dismiss my hypothesis just because you cannot replicate it on your own machines.
The sole fact that some people can not replicate it is already proof in itself that your 'hypothesis' does not work and as such is not a way to detect blocks!

As you said yourself, you do not know all the variables which come into play with stuff like this.

The people here are 100% correct in what they've said: there is no reliable way to see if someone has blocked you.

And a grayed out display picture proofs absolutely nothing in this regards. eg: a display picture can also be grayed out because the syncronization between you, the server and the contact couldn't be established or if there was an error on the way. It even could be that your contact doesn't have a DP to start with. All things which you can not verify in any reliable way.

quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra424
This has been driving me crazy too!  I am pretty sure the person has me blocked whilst they are online as I have witnessed their display pic disappear the moment they sign off after we have been chatting.
That still is no proof that they have blocked you. It could still mean they have deleted the picture. It could also still mean that you don't have cached DPs or that your messenger experiences some bad connection so it can not cache DPs at all. And those are only 2 of the many possebilities which could occur besides being blocked.

Again, there is no way to see the difference between any of those scenarios.

quote:
Originally posted by Cassandra424
If they are online but I see their pic but not status, I am blocked.
They could also be 'appearing offline', or even be completely offline while your Messenger does has a cached version of their DP.

This post was edited on 02-24-2010 at 02:22 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
02-24-2010 02:14 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by pebbles77 on 02-08-2010 at 03:57 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Chris4 on 02-08-2010 at 07:00 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by frazzledazzle on 02-10-2010 at 10:22 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by djdannyp on 02-10-2010 at 11:04 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by frazzledazzle on 02-11-2010 at 12:18 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Spunky on 02-11-2010 at 12:24 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by frazzledazzle on 02-11-2010 at 12:27 PM
RE: RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by CookieRevised on 02-24-2010 at 02:14 AM
RE: RE: RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Cassandra424 on 02-24-2010 at 08:10 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Spunky on 02-11-2010 at 12:29 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by djdannyp on 02-11-2010 at 12:41 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Cassandra424 on 02-22-2010 at 12:08 AM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Chris4 on 02-22-2010 at 06:42 PM
RE: RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Cassandra424 on 02-22-2010 at 07:24 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Nofew on 03-09-2010 at 06:28 PM
RE: Why on my contacts list do contacts pictures show up and other times not???? - by Cassandra424 on 03-10-2010 at 01:33 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: