What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv.

Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv.
Author: Message:
The GLoC

– / Male / –
O.P. Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv.
... Until I've experienced this issue, I've not heard of the file nvdisp.drv. However, When I installed Messenger Plus! 2.54 it worked great. (did this 2 days ago).

When I shut off my computer for the night, and turned it on in the morning, Messenger would crash immediatly upon activation.

The Error Message:
*Msnmsgr has caused an error in NVDISP.DRV.
*Msnmsgr will now close.
*If you continue to experience problems,
*try restarting your computer.

The first time I run Messenger, the error appears, and locks up the computer until I say okay. The 2nd time I run Messenger, the error message does not appear; but the entire system will hang, leaving me with a cold boot as my only option. Restarting the computer after the 1st attempt will not change the order (If I restart after crashing once, the computer will still hang if I run it again).

Doing a bit of research, it seems the file NVDISP.DRV is a Device Driver (obviously), for the Nvidia series of video cards. This isn't my computer, so I didn't select the video card, but knowing the owner of the computer, it (the computer) is, with 95% certainty, using the 2MB on-board video cache.

Anyway, computer specs:
-- Hewlett Packard (augh...) Pavillion Series
-- Windows Millenium OS (gah... with the above, it's the combination from hell, I work for Microsoft so I can say that).
-- AMD Athalon Processor (not bad)
-- 128 MB RAM.

I just did a File Search for it, I have two occurances of the file. One is in the Windows CAB files, the other, the one that crashes Messenger, is in Windows/System... I wonder if the fact that all the letters are capitalized indicates that the file is infected...

Any help on the issue is appreciated.
01-30-2004 12:38 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by The GLoC on 01-30-2004 at 12:38 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Mnjul on 01-30-2004 at 12:44 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Choli on 01-30-2004 at 12:53 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Mnjul on 01-30-2004 at 01:00 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Choli on 01-30-2004 at 02:54 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Mnjul on 01-30-2004 at 03:08 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by CookieRevised on 01-30-2004 at 05:39 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Choli on 01-30-2004 at 07:53 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by CookieRevised on 01-30-2004 at 09:23 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by Patchou on 01-30-2004 at 10:18 PM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by The GLoC on 02-15-2004 at 06:51 AM
RE: Msnmsgr will now close -- nvdisp.drv. - by The GLoC on 02-26-2004 at 07:16 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: