What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Netscape = illness?

Netscape = illness?
Author: Message:
sock
Elite Member

Back in White! (with red stripes)

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Netscape = illness?
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
Well, they shouldn't improve Windows XP --> when you buy it, you buy what's there right now. It's not that we are used to get Windows features in SPs or anything.

You see, you always talk politics when you try to defend Microsoft.

Try this: People pay very good money for Windows XP, and they deserve a full reward to that money. Microsoft is obligated to provide the customer with the best software they can. This is also in Microsoft's own interest: people would be less frustrated with them if they fixed all these annoying things about explorer.exe, and made things faster. Other than that, Windows XP is fine by me. :p

quote:
quote:
Why does my entire MSN Messenger 6.1 hang for about 10 seconds whenever someone is added to a multiple-person conversation (or leaves it)? (or could that be Plus?:P)
Doesn't happen to me :-/
:-/ happens to me when there are at least 4-5 other contacts already in when I'm invited... :-/

quote:
quote:
Oh, and I also think that they (and most other software companies) use too many resources, which forces people to buy new computers...
So you are confident that Mr. Bill just says "Hey! Add some nice loop over here so that the users needs 3871597195mb of ram to run Calc.exe!! Cool, isn't it, Ballmer?" :rolleyes:
No (:rolleyes:), but I'm confident they can make their software way more efficient.

quote:
Software doesn't need more resources to rearrange the menus to be more understandable (which is one of those "small things"), but those things don't sell. Microsoft has to add skinning into Windows XP to make it attractive for the average user (even for the average designer like me :P). They have to add fading, shadows, alpha blended icons. And you can't do that in a 386. And your beloved Apple understands that :P. You can't run OSX with its fancy (and beautiful) dock animations in the 1984 Macintosh.

:rolleyes: would you stop being so extreme? 386?! I bought this PC 2 years ago, and I feel like banging my head against the wall quite often, because big companies don't care about slow machines.

quote:
quote:
A computer is a tool, not an entertainment center.
Wrong :P A computer is both. They used to be ugly tools, now if they are not entertainment centers they don't succeed.
*sigh*, I shouldn't have said that, knowing you'll be there to criticize my post. :p What I meant to say is that from a programmer's aspect, a computer is still a computer. Programs should be designed from scratch to be as efficient as possible. It's the general design that is wrong, not the specific code.

quote:
Adobe Reader 6.0 loads as slow as hell, for example. Very unpleasing.
Not anymore! Try the first link here
:-o I love you man.
[Image: patchoulolhaxun7.jpg]
02-29-2004 03:15 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: