What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help!

Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help!
Author: Message:
vincerooney

O.P. Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help!

You guys on this forum have helped me out so much in the past so its to you i turn to in my time of need again..

just got broadband after your helpful advice in the 'uk broadband' thread a few weeks ago.

i was enjoying the luxuries of downloading everything i wanted on kazaa, i'm not thick and i know a bit about computers so i'm pretty sure i downloaded no 'exe' files like how some people get viruses.

but anyway i got a virus on friday night after my weekly norton search was finished. norton couldnt repair the file, virus definitions were uptodate too, so instead i deleted the virus. it was called 'explorer' or something.

saturday night the virus fun continues. this time i've got two. its those damn gaobot varities. so anyway i try to repair but i can't so instead delete again as the only option after putting them in quarantine.

I then download AVG virus scanner to help in the future. My norton is out of date, but my definitions are uptodate up to last week (dont ask me how i did this...im not proud of how i got 'uptodate'!)

Anyway it scans computer. no viruses. but then i see it can't scan a few folders.

i track the location of one file and use norton to scan the individual file.

ITS GAOBOT! AGAIN!

So i realised AVG is pretty useless for picking up viruses (free edition it is). And that Norton can't repair anything anyway then it finds the virus instead of deleting them.

-------------

So basically i've had 3 gaobots probably off kazaa but i've deleted them all. but i read the norton website about the virus and it scared me to hell.

how it opens ports, allows hackers, slows stuff down...its a worm isnt it?

firstly i want to know how i'm getting them. is it dodgy kazaa? is overnet safer?

secondly how do i undo the damage of the worm? it hasnt taken up any room on my c drive. my computer and internet connection are pretty much the same speed even though i'm getting paranoid and keep saying to myself 'oh my god its getting slow...' its pretty much ok.

the norton website told me to change file names of the internet etc etc but i couldnt find the files to change anyway.

SO I NEED HELP! Am i ok after deleting the viruses or has it done damage??

i have kerio firewall- again free off the internet enabled.

i'd forever be in debt to you all if someone could help. i have medium IT skills. so i might need explaining careful. nortons website is useful if im bill bloody gates.
07-26-2004 01:23 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 01:23 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by matty on 07-26-2004 at 01:27 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 01:35 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 01:37 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by Garndell on 07-26-2004 at 01:40 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by toddy on 07-26-2004 at 01:41 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 01:44 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by toddy on 07-26-2004 at 01:49 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 02:16 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by toddy on 07-26-2004 at 02:29 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 03:52 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 04:01 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by toddy on 07-26-2004 at 04:25 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 11:08 AM
RE: Urgent Help required- You guys rule so please help! - by vincerooney on 07-26-2004 at 11:07 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: