What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Assistance needed on English class assignment

Assistance needed on English class assignment
Author: Message:
dotNorma
Veteran Member

32 / Male / –
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment

1. What is your gender? Male
  2. Your age and what do you do by occupation? I am currently thirteen years of age, and I am still a student. However, I try to make some cash in freelance webdesign when it is needed.
  3. Where are you from? United States of America; Conroe, Texas
  4. What is/are your native language(s)? American English

5. When you are talking, how far away do you usually stand (or sit) from people? Please give your answers for
    1. family members [b]I dont really beleive it is possible to provide an accurate answer for this, as this is strongly influenced by the situation, but I am normally shouting to them from one room in my house to another. This would be approxamintly, 10-30 meters.
    2. intimate friends During school, I try to obtain the closest possible seat to an intimate friend. (Less then 1 meter) Out of school, I am normally within half a meters distance of the friend.
    3. normal acquaintances A meter or two, for the daily conversation.
    4. strangers Id like to say several meters away.
    respectively.
  6. When you are talking, do you (consciously) touch the people you are talking to? If yes, how frequently? Please give your answers for
    1. Other then greetings and partings, never.
    2. Depending on the gender, often. I would say a rather large amount.
    3. Sometimes, not too often.
    4. Dependant on the situation, but I would have to say never.
    respectively.
  7. Continued: If people touch more frequently (than the answer you gave in the last question), how do you feel? I dont really notice to be honest. At a football game a couple friends (female) rubbed me alot while talking to me to see if I would notice, and I didnt untill they told me.

8. In your culture, do people usually look at others when in an elevator?
    It is common curtosy not to stare, so the average person will try to look at something else. However, I always find myself catching glances when people arent looking back.
  9. In your culture, do people try hard not to touch others when in an moderately-to-much-crowded elevator?
    Not really. Of course each person will attempt to get as much personal space as possible, but if it is crowded and you are forced to touch somebody else, nobody really cares.
  10. Do you look people in the eyes when you are talking to them? Note your answer may vary depending on whom you are talking to; please give your answer as detailedly as possible. I look into the eyes of others while I am talking to them, always. Unless its a chat in the kitchen with family or friends, while I am roaming around preparing food or such. Actually, Eye contact is made in situations with several people but when there are just two or three people eye contact isnt really made. (Unless its intimant)
  11. In your culture, do people maintain frequent (yet not excessive) eye contact when talking to others?
    Yes, eye contact is made frequently to distinguish who you are talking too.
  12. In your culture, what do people do non-verbally, when they first meet someone new? (for example, exchanging handshakes, bowing, ...etc)
    It is common of elder people to shake hands, but around my age group, we hug. Any younger is rather shy.
  13. Give your ideas about the special meanings (if any) of the following hand/body gestures and facial expressions in your culture:
    1. The OK sign: forefinger and the tumb joining a circle You did something  perfectly. Its not really used to determing correct or good but perfect.
    2. Crossing your fingers Normally, to wish yourself luck but younger children use it as a method of avoiding promises. (Cross your fingers while you promise something and the promise doesnt count)
    3. Shurgging your shoulders Showing an absense of knowledge (I dont know). If somebody asks you a question, and you didnt know the answer, you would shrug.
    4. Winking A method of wishing good luck upon others, or of signalling something you do not wish others to know. It is also reffered to as being intimant.

12-09-2005 04:29 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Mnjul on 12-03-2005 at 07:15 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by lordy on 12-03-2005 at 07:51 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by John Anderton on 12-03-2005 at 07:53 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Vilkku on 12-03-2005 at 09:05 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by haydos on 12-03-2005 at 09:38 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by emit on 12-03-2005 at 10:13 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Tochjo on 12-03-2005 at 10:25 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by ddunk on 12-03-2005 at 10:30 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Aeryn on 12-03-2005 at 01:23 PM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by t1a0s on 12-03-2005 at 01:42 PM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Nathan on 12-03-2005 at 01:51 PM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by azn angel on 12-07-2005 at 04:24 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Voldemort on 12-09-2005 at 01:58 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by YottabyteWizard on 12-09-2005 at 02:16 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by SikStyles on 12-09-2005 at 03:18 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by Curtis on 12-09-2005 at 03:31 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by *Saint* on 12-09-2005 at 03:32 AM
RE: Assistance needed on English class assignment - by dotNorma on 12-09-2005 at 04:29 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: