What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed

Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed
Author: Message:
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed
quote:
Originally posted by Steven
So it does slighlty effect right?

No. If anything a good 54mbps wireless setup would be more reliable than a shoddy 11mpbs setup, not faster when browsing the internet.

The time you would really see a 54mbps wireless connection shine is when you have 2 computers on a network and you are transferring a large amount of data.

quote:
What do i do to 
speed up my lets say kbps when downloading a file? (besides getting faster internet services from the companies)
Well, uh, theres... uh.. Getting a faster internet service from your provider.

quote:
Ah i see, but anyways, if it only effects that, how come a connection speed increases when using a 54 mbps card than lets say, 11? Even when not on a network?

If your not connected to a network, you wont see the numbers 11 or 54, because you wouldn't be using wireless (your connection would be disconnected). I'm not quite sure where that question comes from. (1pc, a wireless router, and an internet connection is still a network, just not really seen as one.)

The point is, your "connection speed" increases because you are connected at a higher speed, however, you are connected to your network, not to the internet. Your internet connection may still be 4mbps or whatever you get from your ISP.
11-22-2006 01:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Steven on 11-21-2006 at 11:58 PM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by tony on 11-21-2006 at 11:59 PM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Steven on 11-22-2006 at 12:01 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by foaly on 11-22-2006 at 12:01 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Kenji on 11-22-2006 at 12:03 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Steven on 11-22-2006 at 12:07 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by foaly on 11-22-2006 at 12:10 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Spunky on 11-22-2006 at 12:21 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by lizard.boy on 11-22-2006 at 01:10 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by Steven on 11-22-2006 at 01:52 AM
RE: Difference between MBPS and speedtest.net speed - by lizard.boy on 11-22-2006 at 02:21 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: