What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?

Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?
Author: Message:
ahmetgns
Veteran Member

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline?
BUMP!

Grr, this problem is still there. Isn't any workaround being done to get rid of this annoying bug? Most of the people in my country believes that Messenger Plus! Live can notify if their contacts sign-in as offline. Almost every Turkish forum explains this method (?) and at least 50% of the nebbish MSN users in my country believe that. I just googled "cevrimdisi oturum acanlari" (which means "ones appearing offline" and it returned hundreds of results and they all explain this feature (?). Even, at one forum, the person who posted this method says: "I know, you all already know this feature, yet I wanted to post it again" :s

I found a proper way to reproduce this bug. (You are supposed to have a test account to apply these steps).

Sign in Messenger with your regular account. Then start a second messenger and sign in on that with your test account. Add test address to your regular account's list. Then set an "User signed n" Event Notification of Messenger Plus! Live only with a sound for the test account.
  • Don't tick the pop-up notification box as this will prevent the bug from occurence.
  • Don't leave the sound's path blank, enter a song (for instance a *.mp3 file) as this gurantee to reproduce the bug.

Now set test account's status to "Appear offline". Make sure, test address is moved to offline list of contact list. Then change test account's status to any of the online statuses (online, busy etc.). Voila. Messenger Plus! will play the sound but WLM won't and you won't see the test address in your regular account's online list. Then select the same status of test account once more, for example if it is online currently, select online again (important: don't set it from systray's messenger menu, either use contact list's status menu or use a plus! command). This will resend the online signal and Messenger will move test address to online list but Plus! won't notify about anything in this case.
  • This bug will occur only when a sound will be played for the sign in notification for contacts that you want.
  • If you entered the path of an unsupported sound file, this bug won't occur.
  • If your regular account's status is busy and you disable Plus! sounds when busy from Preferences, this bug won't occur.
  • quote:
    Originally posted by akurei77
    I thought that there may have been a bug that showed people who were appearing offline, so...
    quote:
    When a contact of mine changes their status from 'appear offline' to 'online', MP!L registers the change, while WLM does not.
    Although this bug occurs for people who comes online while "appearing offline", rarely it occurs for people who signs in with Online (busy etc.) status as well.
As a summary, this bug occurs only when Plus! tries to play a sound without a toast when people sign in. Note that, sometimes this bug doesn't occur. But it is obviously a bug with the sound-only sign in notifications.

Note that, once I was trying to reproduce this bug, one contact signed out, (plus! played the signout sound without showing a toast) but WLM still displayed her in online list. I think this is due to the same sound bug in Plus! but this problem doesn't always occur. The real bug occurs only for sign in and sound-only notification.

quote:
When that contact changes their status to something else, WLM finally registers the fact that they are online.
They don't have to change it to SOMETHING ELSE. If they set the same status again from status menu of contact list, then WLM will detect it. Even;
Three days ago, my friend signed in and Plus! notified me with the sound. But WLM didn't. I started to chat with him normally and  after some time WLM notified me he signed-in. I asked him if he changed his status to any status, he said "No, I didn't touch any of the status menus". I think, his messenger sent the online signal again to the servers and then my WLM could detect it.
quote:
Another edit:  I just noticed another problem.  The contact who I originally had a problem with was on again today, and I had the same problem with her not showing as online to the real WLM.  The new problem is that she never signed off this time.  I mean, MP!L never said she signed off.  But after a while, I restarted messenger, and it then showed her as offline, in both WLM and MP!L.
Yes, you are right, when this bug occurs, MP!L sometimes cannot detect people who signed out. Therefore I can see sometimes two Signed in events consecutively for one contact without any signing out between them.Example:

test@hotmail.com       Signed in (Online)
test@hotmail.com       Signed in (Online)

If you are unable to fix this bug currently, at least disable the Sound Notification option for Signed-in event. So people can never set it.

I hope this post explains everything very well and you can sort this out soon.

This post was edited on 01-24-2008 at 11:39 PM by ahmetgns.
01-24-2008 11:25 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by zdlo on 02-02-2007 at 10:23 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by markee on 02-02-2007 at 11:14 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by mikemyersfan on 04-05-2007 at 06:13 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by Patchou on 04-06-2007 at 03:30 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by mikemyersfan on 04-06-2007 at 04:58 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by akurei77 on 04-23-2007 at 12:31 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by Nugstar on 05-15-2007 at 09:48 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by ahmetgns on 05-15-2007 at 10:16 PM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by ahmetgns on 08-03-2007 at 08:16 PM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by ahmetgns on 01-24-2008 at 11:25 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by arath on 02-21-2008 at 03:51 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by Patchou on 02-21-2008 at 05:38 PM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by ahmetgns on 02-21-2008 at 10:48 PM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by arath on 02-21-2008 at 10:59 PM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by ahmetgns on 05-03-2009 at 10:47 AM
RE: Events notification notifies ones appearing offline? - by Patchou on 05-04-2009 at 05:23 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: