What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » error safe redirect?

error safe redirect?
Author: Message:
Verte

RE: RE: error safe redirect?
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
Using a plugin like NoScript will give you a _false_ feeling of security! There are still many things which might go wrong and can be a security risk...

You're quite right, there are a lot of non-javascript security problems out there. I'm not even sure, but I think NoScript leaves about:blank scripts on. However, together with FF/IW which I'm pretty sure have ActiveX scripts [even worse] off by default [but you should always check that too!], you're safe from a lot of common attacks.

Flash, Qt and easiest of all WMP attacks are still quite possible and you need to think about that before enabling these plugins. I prefer to download the content and view it outside of my browser, except with flash which I run as its own user. *

I also don't keep up with Windows security, like the .ani exploit that effortlessly gets around the IE7 sandboxing in Vista, but the firefox team do a pretty good job with serious security problems.

* EDIT: well, did under Linux. The educated would know there's no flash player for FreeBSD, although you can run it on the Linux compatability layer, I still haven't bothered setting it up. Just so you know.

This post was edited on 04-25-2007 at 03:18 PM by Verte.
was put impeccably into words at DebianDay for me last Saturday, by Knut Yrvin of Trolltech - adults try something once, fail, and then are like "ffs this doesn't work". Children try, fail, and then try again, and succeed - maybe on the second, or even fifth retry. But the thing is that they keep at it and overcome the problems in the end.

-andrewdodd13
04-25-2007 03:13 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
error safe redirect? - by High Speed Chaser on 04-25-2007 at 10:37 AM
RE: error safe redirect? - by Verte on 04-25-2007 at 02:35 PM
RE: error safe redirect? - by CookieRevised on 04-25-2007 at 02:50 PM
RE: RE: error safe redirect? - by Verte on 04-25-2007 at 03:13 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend