What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » The sponsor program

The sponsor program
Author: Message:
got_milk?

O.P. The sponsor program
Firstly, I have to say good job to Patchou for his hard work in Messenger Plus and Messenger Plus Live. I've been using your software for approx. 2 years now.

However I am quite disappointed with the inclusion of the sponsor program.

I recently updated to the latest version that supports WLM 8.5. I figured I'd help out and install the sponsor program too, seeing as it is only adware. I disabled my anti-spyware programs to avoid being annoyed by them, and continued the install. About half-way through the installation, I receive a McAfee popup (McAfee VirusScan 11.0/2007) and it says that a trojan has been removed from my system.

???

The trojan's name was Downloader-BCM.

McAfee automatically removed the file. Upon reviewing the detection log, the starting process was iexplore.exe which made sense since I ran the installer right out of IE. No other websites were open at the time. The location of the program was in the Temp folder, which yet again makes sense because the sponsor program's silent installer would have extracted itself to the Temp folder.

I opened IE. Nothing. No trace of the sponsor program at all. I reinstalled Messenger Plus Live, and it yet again occured. I contacted McAfee with a link to your homepage and the name of the trojan, and they did confirm that the McAfee was not identifying a false-positive.

I had ran a virus scan a day before, and it was clean. However, I became slightly concerned and I ran another one. McAfee detected a keylogger. Connection? Seems possible.

I am a software developer, so I do know a thing or two about computers, and I'm curious why you are claming the sponsor to be adware when it contains a trojan?
06-13-2007 11:55 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
The sponsor program - by got_milk? on 06-13-2007 at 11:55 PM
RE: The sponsor program - by Supersonicdarky on 06-14-2007 at 12:05 AM
RE: The sponsor program - by Lou on 06-14-2007 at 12:28 AM
RE: The sponsor program - by got_milk? on 06-14-2007 at 10:24 PM
RE: The sponsor program - by Patchou on 06-15-2007 at 02:07 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend