What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I...

Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I...
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I...
quote:
Originally posted by Ryxpia
Will Ubuntu act like Windows if it's plugged into a different mobo?
No, it won't have half the problems Windows does.  Linux installations are easy to move to different hardware.  There could be some things to configure manually (modules loaded, reconfigure X11 for your display), but it could even turn out "plug and play" on mostly similar hardware.

Before you move the drive, set it up to boot to console instead of automatically starting X11 with GUI logon.  After the move, first test X11 out manually (startx) and adjust the configuration as needed.  That is the most likely problem area and you don't want to end up looking at a loop of X11 trying to start and dying, or starting at a resolution your screen can't display.

That said, it also easy to install Linux over the network, from a USB thumb drive, etc. -- if this is all about not having a CD-ROM drive, you might want to look into some of those.
11-01-2007 03:26 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by ryxdp on 11-01-2007 at 08:11 AM
RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by ShawnZ on 11-01-2007 at 08:11 AM
RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by ryxdp on 11-01-2007 at 08:20 AM
RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by Adeptus on 11-01-2007 at 03:26 PM
RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by ryxdp on 11-02-2007 at 11:04 PM
RE: RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by Verte on 11-04-2007 at 09:21 AM
RE: Will Gutsy work on my ThinkPad T20 if I... - by roflmao456 on 11-02-2007 at 11:27 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: