What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [split] Version numbers: 4.5 vs. 4.50

[split] Version numbers: 4.5 vs. 4.50
Author: Message:
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: RE: Willz Skinning Guide
quote:
Originally posted by Guido
(in terms of the trailing zero being optional). I know 4.50.310 is not a decimal number, but 4.50 is rounded up at that nice "50" to be interpreted as 4 and a half, and this gets abbreviated on the official site's homepage as 4.5. 4.5 is not intended to be a version number, it's the name of a series of versions (and 4.50.310 is the first build of it)
Isn't the brand name of the series 4.50 in that case?

quote:
Originally posted by Guido
I understood what you meant and know how version numbers are built (Including Plus!'s ones, there was a similar discussion here back in 3.5 IIRC). My point wasn't that you were wrong about suggesting using 4.50 (in fact it might be better in this context to avoid the confusions you mention), but just that you were wrong about 4.5 being incorrect/non-existant.
It was never my intention to say it is bluntly wrong. I said (I think) it was inlogical in one way of looking at it as a version number. And that way is also the way I personally use...

Neither 4.5 or 4.50 is wrong, if you look at it as just those two numbers.

But if you take in account how Plus! has always used the version numbers, the other text on the site, etc, then it would be wrong IMHO (even if you interpret it as the brand name of a series).

Series 4 isn't the same as series 40 either...(not the best argument, but blah)

quote:
Otherwise, you should consider it a bug in the website, not in Willz's skinning guide.
Which I actually did though (although I really don't consider this as a 'bug' bug). Willz probably got it from the 'bug' in the website, hence why I suggested it to him.

quote:
So, basically, don't run "4.5" through build numbering conventions, because it's not a build version number, it's the brand name of a series of releases.
Ok, fair point now that you explained it that way, but people looking at the site might not know that. Hence why I still think it would be better to make it 4.50, so there isn't any confussion in any way you look at it.

quote:
Originally posted by andrewdodd13
For MP!L it makes pseudo-sense that 4.50 and 4.5 are interchangeable, since there are unlikely to be 50 iterations of a minor release.

ermm... I think you just contradicted yourself (if I understood you correctly at least)....

There indeed were 50 (well a bit less) iterations of Plus! (the number counts on, it doesn't (always) reset with major builds*), that's exactly what that number means.

And 4 is the number of how many major changes there has been. So, 4.5 means (in my way) only 5 iterations, which is serisouly fault.

* if it wouldn't count on then your logic of iterations is completely fault, because otherwise that would even mean that Plus! 4.23.276 = 4.3 for example. since 4.23 was the third/fourth in the 4 series.

This post was edited on 12-19-2007 at 01:10 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
12-15-2007 01:16 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: