What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Remote Account Creation

Remote Account Creation
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Remote Account Creation
quote:
I would like to know how to create a user account on a remote computer from a computer I have physical access to on the same network.  I am able to connect to this remote computer using the \\computername command in Run and using Remote Desktop Connection.  I would also like to add that they are on the same domain and I am on Windows XP.  Is there anyway to create an account on that remote computer?
I assume your question is about using Windows management tools and not about gaining access to something you haven't been granted access to...

There are two types of accounts: domain accounts and local accounts.  As others have pointed out, to create a domain account you need to be logged on with an account that, at the very least, has Account Operator privileges on the domain.  Contrary to what's been said so far in this thread, you do not need to be logged on to the domain controller itself -- you can do it from any computer that has Windows server administration tools (Google "adminpak") installed.  The tool you want is called "Active Directory Users and Computers".

To create a local account, you would need to be logged on with an account that has local administrator privileges on the computer you want to create the account on (but not necessarily domain administrator).  To do that, run compmgmt.msc (or "Computer Management" under "Administrative Tools"), right click the computer icon at the top of the tree and connect to the remote computer.  Add a user under "Local Users and Groups".
03-24-2008 08:07 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Remote Account Creation - by turnip281 on 03-06-2008 at 03:18 AM
RE: Remote Account Creation - by MeEtc on 03-06-2008 at 03:33 AM
RE: Remote Account Creation - by surftake on 03-23-2008 at 07:16 AM
RE: Remote Account Creation - by Steven on 03-24-2008 at 06:20 PM
RE: Remote Account Creation - by Adeptus on 03-24-2008 at 08:07 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend