What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs

Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs
Author: Message:
andrey
elite shoutboxer

– / Male / Flag
RE: Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs
I haven't yet encountered the first case you described, but I did a quick test and was able to reproduce the second scenario.
quote:
Originally posted by ahmetgns
2. Also sometimes, it adds the sound to a different category because after I press "Add to my list" button I cannot see the sound in the current category but when I search for it, it finds it. I manually scan all the categories  without closing and reopening the panel and I find it in a different category.
To test this, first of all, I deleted all custom sounds from my sound library. I then opened a conversation and chose the "Cartoon/Games" category from the emoticon sounds panel.
I then repeatedly downloaded sounds via the "New Random Sound..." button and added them to the sound library ("Add to my list" button).

In the end, I had added a total of 100 custom sounds to the sounds library this way and two of them ended up in a different category:

[Image: soundlibrary-hl.png]

While adding those two sounds via the "new random sound" button, this is what was displayed in the "Get New Random Sound" dialog box:

[Image: randomsound2-hl.png] [Image: randomsound1-hl.png]

But after they were added to the sound library, they are listed in the "Vocals" category.
The Custom Sound Properties dialog shows them as being in the "Vocals" category, and adding those sounds with "/sound #1D0C016AD9E1" and "/sound #055B904A6469" will place them into the "Vocals" category as well.

[Image: soundprops2.png] [Image: soundprops1.png]

It seems like some sounds sneak into different categories when you use the get random sound feature. Those two sounds seem to really be in the "Vocals" category, but yet somehow they also appear when you try to get a random sound from "Cartoons/Games".

Windows XP Service Pack 2 (5.1.2600)
Windows Live Messenger 8.5.1018
Messenger Plus! Live 4.60.0.324

Edit:
After thinking about this, could it be that when the category of a sound is updated with "Update Server" in the "Custom Sound Properties" dialog, it somehow remains in the original category and gets added to the new category?
I don't know how the sounds are organised on the server, but are the sounds saved with the original categories in addition to the 'current' category?
So, suppose that those two sounds were uploaded as "Cartoon/Games", someone else downloaded them and decided that they would fit better into "Vocals" than "Cartoon/Games" and changed the Category.
That might explain why they show up when you search for a random sound in the "Cartoon/Games" category, and as soon as you add them to the sound library, they get added into the updated category, i.e. "Vocals" instead of "Cartoon/Games".
Of course that's just speculation..

This post was edited on 05-26-2008 at 04:30 PM by andrey.
[Image: w2kzw8qp-sq2_dz_b_xmas.png]
05-26-2008 03:33 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs - by ahmetgns on 05-25-2008 at 04:48 PM
RE: Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs - by andrey on 05-26-2008 at 03:33 PM
RE: Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs - by ahmetgns on 05-28-2008 at 06:43 AM
RE: Getting random emotion sounds from panel has two bugs - by CookieRevised on 05-28-2008 at 09:32 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: