What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module

RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
I need some help figuring out what's wrong with my new system.

The system is unstable (random BSODs). All drivers and the BIOS are up to date. Memtest86+ v2.01 (latest version) shows errors on all the RAM modules (a few in test 3, a lot in tests 5 and 6).
I don't think the memory sticks are faulty. The same RAM was running fine in my previous machine. I also tried modules from another system and got the same type of errors. I suspect it's something with my BIOS settings or a faulty mobo, but i like to be sure. The parts were bought online, some parts from a different store. Unnecessary RMAs could take a lot of time, so how can i be sure it's not a BIOS setting and isolate the problem to a single hardware part?

System specs:
- Mobo: Asus P5Q Deluxe
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad,Q9450
- RAM: 8GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-6400 (4*2GB in dual channel)
- Alternative RAM (also showing errors): Kingston HyperX DDR2 KHX6400D2LLK2/2G (PDF link!) (2*1GB dual channel)
- GPU: Asus EN9600GT SILENT/HTDI/512M

What I've tried so far:
- Ran Memtest in various RAM configurations (each socket and module individually), errors every time.
- Disconnected unneeded parts like networkcard, TV card, soundcard
- Disabled unneeded parts in BIOS, like integrated audio and LAN.
- Tried different RAM (see alternative RAM in system specs). Still a lot of errors.
- Tried setting the RAM timings manually, but this resulted in even more errors. I probably messed that up myself, there are a lot of timing settings in this BIOS and it's confusing me :(. Help from somebody familiar with RAM timings and voltages highly appreciated :).
- Reset all BIOS settings back to default.

Still no fix so far. At this point i think it's unlikely the RAM itself is broken. It seems to be the motherboard, but usually just a single memory socket dies, i haven't heard of all four sockets dying before (but still a possibility). Another reason could be the BIOS settings, but at the moment they are set to default, all my RAM in all my previous systems ran fine under default BIOS settings.

It's around 1am right now and i don't want to wake people up, but will do more tests tomorrow. All help and suggestions are welcome.

I'll see if i can get the old system running tomorrow and see what Memtest says on that machine. If Memtest is fine on the same RAM in another machine i guess it's definitely either the BIOS settings or the mobo is failing.

Some google results suggest setting the timings manually and/or a higher voltage to the memory. I'm not too sure about that, shouldn't the BIOS detect the safe default settings? I never overclocked my RAM or played around with memory BIOS settings.

Any help/suggestions?

This post was edited on 07-20-2008 at 11:24 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
07-20-2008 11:23 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-20-2008 at 11:23 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Voldemort on 07-21-2008 at 04:14 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-21-2008 at 12:30 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by CookieRevised on 07-21-2008 at 01:11 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by ShawnZ on 07-21-2008 at 01:33 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-21-2008 at 10:59 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 08-01-2008 at 01:26 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by ipab on 08-01-2008 at 03:36 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 08-19-2008 at 10:51 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: