What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module

RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
Author: Message:
Menthix
forum admin

39 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module
Got my replacement motherboard today (same model). Took so much time mainly because i sent it late, and wasn't home when they delivered the new one. The store was actually quite fast.

Ran Memtest86+ again on the new mobo with all 8GB of RAM and default BIOS settings. Test 1 and 2 went fine, but when i came back later it was halfway test 5 and showing over 500000 errors.

Went into the BIOS and set some of the RAM settings manually:
  • DRAM Frequency: DDR2-800MHz
  • DRAM Timing Control: Manual
  • CAS# Latency: 4
  • DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay: 4
  • DRAM RAS# Precharge: 4
  • RAS# Activate tp Precharge Time: 15
  • DRAM Voltage: 2.14
    I set it this high straight away because i saw OCZ's warranty isn't broken when using voltages up to 2.15V on this specific model, and i was frustrated a new mobo didn't seem to help. Don't do this with your own RAM, start increasing voltages by small steps and see if it solves your problems.
    All the numbers above depend on the specific module you have. If you're trying to fix a similar problem to mine, check the site of the manufacturer for correct specs.
As far as i can remember i did the same thing on the original mobo too, but surprisingly this time it only showed 1 error on a full Memtest run. Doing some further testing revealed 1 of the RAM modules is bad, but the others are testing fine now (unlike on the first mobo).

I'll keep Memtest running during the night with 4GB (2 modules). If no errors show up I'll RMA the other 2 modules (dual channel set) and the system should be running fine. Still need to upgrade the BIOS on this one and install Vista, but it looks like i might finally get to use this system.

FINAL EDIT: BIOS Update complete and defect module RMA-ed, have been running the system stable for a few days now (y).

quote:
Originally posted by ipab
Check your PM.
I tried it, but couldn't get it to work. It kept on seeking a floppy or something. Thanks tho :).

This post was edited on 08-27-2008 at 01:38 PM by Menthix.
Finish the problem
Menthix.net | Contact Me
08-19-2008 10:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-20-2008 at 11:23 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Voldemort on 07-21-2008 at 04:14 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-21-2008 at 12:30 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by CookieRevised on 07-21-2008 at 01:11 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by ShawnZ on 07-21-2008 at 01:33 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 07-21-2008 at 10:59 PM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 08-01-2008 at 01:26 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by ipab on 08-01-2008 at 03:36 AM
RE: RAM/BIOS/Mobo failure? MemTest errors on every module - by Menthix on 08-19-2008 at 10:51 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: