What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Drive has died

Drive has died
Author: Message:
ryxdp

29 / Male / Flag
O.P. Drive has died
Well, I finally got my new CPU today, and I started installing Windows on my new pc, all of which went reasonably fine. When it came to transferring my files over, though, I made a huge mistake. I was going to try and transfer them directly, which meant I'd need two wireless cards. I got an old D-Link 54Mbps card from my stock of random bits and pieces of which their reliability and usefulness can be doubted. This card turned out to be a dud, and gave me a lovely 0x0000007B BSOD when I tried turning it on in my old PC. After taking it out again, all is well, except my D: drive -- full of my videos, music, pictures and various other projects -- is apparently not formatted. I attempted to read it using the Ubuntu LiveCD, which eventually told me there was a "segmentation fault" on it. I tried backing it up with a Paragon tool that came with the Partition Manager, which found two I/O errors in relatively quick succession, and then the machine hung.

I'd noticed one of my drives was making "clunk"ing sort of noises, and I just found out it may be the drive head hitting the platter. I didn't think much of it, as it was fairly old and not in very good shape, but still seemed to be alright anyway.

Is there any way I can get this data back? I can pretty easily get most of the contents back, i just need at least file names to jog my memory though. The only option I seem to have left is getting a professional to try and retrieve as much as possible, but if there's any way I can do it myself, I'd like to try it.

The system is an AMD Athlon @ 1.2GHz with 512MB of RAM, 40GB Seagate HDD (system, fine) 60GB WD WD600BB-22JHA0 (problem drive)

Thanks in advance :) and sorry if this has been answered before :/
02-14-2009 12:52 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Drive has died - by ryxdp on 02-14-2009 at 12:52 PM
RE: Drive has died - by Menthix on 02-14-2009 at 02:22 PM
RE: Drive has died - by ryxdp on 02-14-2009 at 11:24 PM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites