What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts

[Suggestion] Downloading Fonts
Author: Message:
Matti
Elite Member

Script Developer and Helper

31 / Male / Flag
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts
Whether it's for Windows Live Messenger or Plus! Live, technically speaking this is possible to do. If you have enabled a certain option to saying that you allow others to download your current font from your computer, your contacts could send a request which you automatically respond to with a file transfer of your font. After the file is received, their client could then copy it to the Windows Fonts folder.

The problem I see is that not all fonts are free. If you happen to install a paid font and use that in Messenger, it could be illegal for you to share it with others.

Also, in order to install a font on Vista or higher, you need administrator rights since those files have to be copied to "%Windows%\Fonts" which is a system folder by default. Therefore, the process of quickly retrieving a font before you chat could turn out annoying with those UAC prompts popping up all of a sudden.

Besides, I'd rather not have all those crazy fonts my contacts are using - some are just illegible. I don't want my Fonts folder to be filled with those useless dingbat fonts. ;)

This post was edited on 08-19-2010 at 06:14 PM by Matti.
Plus! Script Developer | Plus! Beta Tester | Creator of Countdown Live | Co-developer of Screenshot Sender 5

Found my post useful? Rate me!
08-19-2010 06:14 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
[Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by jod.drummer on 08-19-2010 at 05:26 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by Lou on 08-19-2010 at 05:45 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by jod.drummer on 08-19-2010 at 05:56 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by Matti on 08-19-2010 at 06:14 PM
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by jod.drummer on 08-23-2010 at 12:33 AM
RE: [Suggestion] Downloading Fonts - by CookieRevised on 08-26-2010 at 06:19 AM

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode