What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Toshiba

Toshiba
Author: Message:
Adeptus

RE: Toshiba
I generally agree with what was already said, but will add a few details and also some personal opinions.

First, when it comes to laptop brands, there is a difference in what is typically found in a local retail store and what is available online.  There are exceptions to this, but the top store retail brands are Toshiba and HP, followed by Acer, Sony and whatever else they may have.  In US and Canada, Lenovo Thinkpads and Dell laptops are primarily sold by direct online order.  If you are going to buy from a retail store and this is how it must be (because you have to lay hands on it first or it's easier for you to pay cash), Toshiba is probably a fine choice. 

HP is complicated because years ago, HP bought Compaq.  There is true HP and there is ex-Compaq HP, each having different strengths.  You are not considering it and I won't get into those complexities unless you decide to look at HP lineups.

Thinkpad is the laptop line that was originally made by IBM, the guys who have been around forever and invented the computing platform that has evolved into today's Windows PCs.  Thinkpads have traditionally had one entry level model, a very well made but about average laptop, with the rest of the line devoted to being the best money can buy in various categories (and priced accordingly). 

As an example, the Thinkpad I had several years ago was constructed mostly of titanium alloys instead of plastic, to make it thinner and lighter than any comparable laptop of the day.  Thinkpads have a well earned reputation for being nearly indestructible.  In my opinion, the only competition to Thinkpads is Apple, the difference being Apple also sells you a different operating system, while a Thinkpad is definitely a PC and a much more conservative, business-like design.  You can't go wrong with one, but it will cost you.

IBM sold the Thinkpad line to Lenovo some years ago.  It seems that Lenovo retained the original design teams and philosophy and a Thinkpad is still a Thinkpad, but you should be aware that Lenovo also markets non-Thinkpad laptops and I have no idea whether those are any good.  "Lenovo" something or other without "Thinkpad" in the name is a completely different product.

I do think you should take a close look at what Dell offers.  Sorry to contribute to your already confusing array of choices, but Dell is very competitive on cost and they make great products.  It won't be Thinkpad build quality, but it will easily beat Toshiba, HP and similar at a competitive price point.  Dells are remarkably easy to service, should you ever wish to repair or upgrade something yourself.  They last well -- Dell is what we buy at work for three year rotations, and most of the units come out looking fine to go a few more years when decommissioned.

On the Intel vs. AMD issue, go Intel.  There are always people who will religiously back the underdog (AMD), but the fact is AMD has been behind on performance for several years now and they have always been behind on power consumption and thermal management, which are major issues for a laptop.  I don't keep up with every latest development and there may be something I don't know, but having watched this competition for years, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind when I advise you to go with Intel.
12-19-2010 06:51 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Messages In This Thread
Toshiba - by wacky on 12-16-2010 at 10:02 PM
RE: Toshiba - by Hank on 12-16-2010 at 10:15 PM
RE: Toshiba - by albert on 12-16-2010 at 11:27 PM
RE: Toshiba - by wacky on 12-16-2010 at 11:49 PM
RE: RE: Toshiba - by albert on 12-17-2010 at 12:42 AM
RE: Toshiba - by Hank on 12-17-2010 at 12:34 AM
RE: Toshiba - by CookieRevised on 12-17-2010 at 02:46 PM
RE: Toshiba - by lizard.boy on 12-17-2010 at 10:11 PM