What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » How To Create A New Partition?

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
How To Create A New Partition?
Author: Message:
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. How To Create A New Partition?
hey im rlly in a hurry.. so id appreciate any fast repsonses..

what i need to do..

create a new partition.. i only got a 40GB hard drive.. and I got about 3 GB of music, and .5 GB of files I need to keep ( Im reformating.. )

now I wanna create a 5GB partition on my harddrive.. so I can have like C: (35 GB) and D: (5GB) so when I reformat I can keep all the files needed on the D: drive.. anyone knows how?!
04-22-2005 08:34 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Stigmata
Veteran Member

20 / Other / Flag
RE: How To Create A New Partition?
http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

http://www.soft32.com/download_151.html
04-22-2005 08:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
i have partition expert which works quite well.
04-22-2005 08:45 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: How To Create A New Partition?
ok i installed partition magic, what i did is that i resized my hardrive from 38.5 to 33.2 or stm like that.. then I pressed apply.. but it ot back to 38.5 :S any one can help?
04-22-2005 08:54 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
lp15: if you want to do things right, don't use any third party partition manager, use Windows built-in tools.

Make a backup of all your data first, and then:
- If you want to make changes to the partition where Windows is currently installed, you'll have to reinstall Windows. You can start the Windows installation from the CD and repartition from there.
- If you don't need to make changes to the partition where Windows is currently installed, you can repartition your disk from Windows (Start > Run, type "compmgmt.msc" and click OK, then go to Disk administration - or something like that, mine is in Spanish).
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
04-22-2005 09:00 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo
lp15: if you want to do things right, don't use any third party partition manager, use Windows built-in tools.

- If you want to make changes to the partition where Windows is currently installed, you'll have to reinstall Windows. You can start the Windows installation from the CD and repartition from there.
- If you don't need to make changes to the partition where Windows is currently installed, you can repartition your disk from Windows (Start > Run, type "compmgmt.msc" and click OK, then go to Disk administration - or something like that, mine is in Spanish).

i tried that.. seen in ur other thread.. just didnt find how to create new partition..:S
04-22-2005 09:03 PM
Concord Dawn
Veteran Member

This is a loopy fruit.

33 / Male / –
I tried partition magic, but it won't let me join my two partitions, alternatives?
[Image: 7.png]
04-22-2005 09:52 PM
lizard.boy
Veteran Member

33 / Male / Flag
the only thing i've used partition software for is to change the size of partitions. and that worked perfectly with partition expert. it should go well with creating partitions but my friend didnt have as much sucess.
it didnt do bad but it didnt do anything
04-22-2005 10:08 PM
lopardo
Veteran Member

37 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by lp15
quote:
Originally posted by lopardo

i tried that.. seen in ur other thread.. just didnt find how to create new partition..:S
I wish I had a Windows installation in English... :-/

In the disk administration window, right click your partitions or empty space to manage them, take a look at this:

[Image: attachment.php?pid=447316]
click to enlarge

The selected item there says "Delete logic drive". You can create, remove and format partitions from there. Removing or formatting partitions will cause the data in that partition to be lost.

quote:
Originally posted by Chaotic_Shield
I tried partition magic, but it won't let me join my two partitions, alternatives?
quote:
Originally posted by lizard.boy
the only thing i've used partition software for is to change the size of partitions. and that worked perfectly with partition expert. it should go well with creating partitions but my friend didnt have as much sucess.
it didnt do bad but it didnt do anything
Even if those programs let you rearrange partitions without having to format and losing the data, I don't suggest using them.  They can cause more trouble later and could even affect your disk performance (by "mistreating" the MFT on NTFS partitions for example)...

It's always better to take the time to plan your partitions and then making them with Windows tools.

Always make backups first.

.png File Attachment: nobody hears us fall.png (18.34 KB)
This file has been downloaded 223 time(s).
[Image: userbar452797dd.gif]
04-23-2005 12:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
albert
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
hey thx everyone for replies, but I found what the problem was.. Partition Magic works rlly well.. you simply cannot make partitions using the Demo Version.. you need the full software..

appreciate you guys taking time to respond

truly yours
lp15
04-23-2005 01:09 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: