What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Lock help.

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Messenger Lock help.
Author: Message:
Matty Bix

O.P. Messenger Lock help.
Hey, this is my first post on these forums - apologies if i sound like an idiot - so please stay with me :D

I am not the only user of this computer so we have multiple instances of Messenger running.

I run MSN Messenger 7.0

other people run Windows Messenger.

Basically when i use messenger lock on 7.0 (my lock keys are ALT+2) it locks both Windows messenger and MSN Messenger.

I was just wondering is it possible to unistall Messenger Plus from windows messenger so it will no longer lock both.

Also is it possible to get 2 instances of MSN Messenger 7.0 running at once so you can have 2 people logged in at once - so we can use all the features - then of course uninstall Messenger Plus from one of them?
04-24-2005 07:54 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
RE: Messenger Lock help.
quote:
Originally posted by Matty Bix
Also is it possible to get 2 instances of MSN Messenger 7.0 running at once so you can have 2 people logged in at once
This can be done using A-Patch -> http://apatch.tk/

Select Polygamy (Multi-MSN) ;)
04-24-2005 07:58 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
You can have separate key combinations for separate MSN accounts, or just disable it for certain accounts.

You could get the people to log in on their account (on either MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger), and disable messenger lock on their account in the Plus preferences, or give them a separate combination. Main Messenger Window > Plus > Preferences > Privacy Protection > Messenger Lock > Disable it from there or give them a special combination and click Ok. This way if they're logged into Windows Messenger it won't lock.

This way if user A is signed into MSN Messenger and user B is signed into Windows Messenger and user A locks MSN Messenger with his combination, it won't effect User B's Messenger session at all, and vice versa if User B locks it.

Messenger Plus sets certain settings for each Messenger account, not for Windows Messenger or MSN Messenger, so you can't have it to do stuff for Windows Messenger and not for MSN Messenger.

Due to the way Plus hooks into MSN and Windows Messenger you can't get it to not work in one or the other. At some point Patchou (the creator of Messenger Plus) may scrap compatibility for Windows Messenger.

quote:

Also is it possible to get 2 instances of MSN Messenger 7.0 running at once so you can have 2 people logged in at once - so we can use all the features - then of course uninstall Messenger Plus from one of them?

Another way, this one is more legal than A-Patch, but both will work. You can use the polygamy feature from StuffPlug-NG. It also has many more features that you may like :)
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
04-24-2005 08:09 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
this one is more legal than A-Patch
they're both as "illegal" as each other, but really the only illegal thing is using them :P

This post was edited on 04-24-2005 at 08:19 AM by Ahmad.
04-24-2005 08:19 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Ahmad
they're both as "illegal" as each other, but really the only illegal thing is using them
StuffPlug-NG just hooks into MSN Messenger, which akaik, is legal. However patching executables that are copyrighted aren't legal.
04-24-2005 08:21 AM
Ahmad

@hmad

40 / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
quote:
they're both as "illegal" as each other, but really the only illegal thing is using them
StuffPlug-NG just hooks into MSN Messenger, which akaik, is legal. However patching executables that are copyrighted aren't legal.
Yes, but it also patches the exe in memory for those kinds of features (correct me if i'm wrong), which is also illegal.
04-24-2005 08:25 AM
Matty Bix

O.P. RE: Messenger Lock help.
Thankyou for your help everyone - was muchly appreciated.

I was just wondering one last thing - when clicking on URL's my default browser is Internet Explorer, the browser i use though is FireFox - is there a way possible to click on links to bring it up in firefox instead (just for my account though)

It isn't as simple as changing FF to default, as other people use the PC
04-24-2005 08:28 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Yes, but it also patches the exe in memory for those kinds of features (correct me if i'm wrong), which is also illegal.

Indeed it does patch the .exe in the memory (as does JrznLoader).
However this process of Soft-patching is legal, where as patching the main executable is not legal.
It does seem a little dodgy, after all the result is virtually the same. However the law is probably there because soft-patching is easier to undo, and it isn't actually altering the main product itself, just how it works.

quote:

I was just wondering one last thing - when clicking on URL's my default browser is Internet Explorer, the browser i use though is FireFox - is there a way possible to click on links to bring it up in firefox instead
Yes. StuffPlug-NG has an option to allow you to open links in your default browser, just configure it in your account only.
04-24-2005 08:34 AM
Matty Bix

O.P. RE: Messenger Lock help.

quote:
You could get the people to log in on their account (on either MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger), and disable messenger lock on their account in the Plus preferences, or give them a separate combination. Main Messenger Window > Plus > Preferences > Privacy Protection > Messenger Lock > Disable it from there or give them a special combination and click Ok. This way if they're logged into Windows Messenger it won't lock.

This way did not seem to work - first i disabled it in Windows messenger - it also disabled in MSN - changed the combinations - changed both! :(
04-24-2005 08:38 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
quote:

This way did not seem to work - first i disabled it in Windows messenger - it also disabled in MSN - changed the combinations - changed both!
As I said before, it won't change for eihter MSN Messenger or Windows Messenger. It will change only for each Messenger account for each person.
04-24-2005 08:44 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: