What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Need some help with MSN 8.5 install

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Need some help with MSN 8.5 install
Author: Message:
Raya

43 / Female / Flag
O.P. Need some help with MSN 8.5 install
Most of the skins only work with MSN version 8.5 so I have installed 8.5 and it keeps telling me there is a newer version and do I want to upgrade, when I check no it closes down messenger. I have tried the fix recommended by checking off Compatibility Mode and setting Windows to an earlier version like 95 restart but it STILL will not work and just keeps telling me to upgrade. ( I uninstalled previous version). I found another link to a another copy of MSN Messenger 8.5 and it worked fine but now whenever I install Messenger Plus! it doesnt show up in the Messenger window, sure it says its been installed but nothing shows up and when I try to install a new skin it says you must have MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! working... where the hell is a copy of MSN 8.5 that works with Plus! and these Skins because all the really rippin skins ONLY work with 8.5 so any help finding out why this isnt working would be swell!
09-27-2008 02:36 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
RE: Need some help with MSN 8.5 install
www.get.live.com
www.msgpluslive.net/download

Always download WLM from there and make sure you always download MP!L from the second link (it will always be the newest version). You should not be getting messages to upgrade from 8.5 yet at all so that was either

a) you read the message wrong
b) a possible server error
c) a malicious version of the program taking you to a dangerous website.

<Eljay> "Problems encountered: shit blew up" :zippy:
09-27-2008 04:07 AM
Raya

43 / Female / Flag
O.P. RE: Need some help with MSN 8.5 install
Thanks for the info but I had already tried the main link for MSN Messenger it dls Windows Live Messenger Beta Version 2009 (Build 14.0.5027.908) the Beta of MSN errors out 98% of the time with this message....Windows Live Communications Platform has encountered a problem and needs to close.  We are sorry for the inconvenience...which is why I do not normally run Beta versions in the first place. I have also read in the forums that even IF the MSN Messenger 2009 DID work well it will NOT work with Messenger Plus! It goes through the install but when MSN Messenger opens up there is NO Messenger Plus! icon.All this said it doesnt help the fact that even if it was functioning well and Messenger Plus! would work with it the "works with 8.5 Skins" would NOT and since that is what I am after, thanks for the advice but it really didnt solve anything.
09-27-2008 05:51 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
It DOES not download the BETA version. The  only way to download it is to go to Windows Live Betas...
09-28-2008 11:43 AM
Raya

43 / Female / Flag
OK here it is, full out for you then. I click the little linky you posted it sends me to a web page where I click DOWNLOAD then it saves to my desktop I click it to install it starts up Windows Live Install (which I have done 3 times before now) It fails to install any components so I click Get Help with this (BTW in the forums here there are MANY ppl who have had issues with WLI) I have tried all the fixes they suggest but it STILL wont install so I follow the help link to http://download.live.com/ and THAT is where it dls the latest install which always turns out to be Windows Live Messenger Beta Version 2009 (Build 14.0.5027.908) and as we all know that doesnt work with Plus!
I have found the install for MSN Version 2008 (Build 8.5.1302.1018) which is needed for most of the skins to work. I have tried to install the latest version of  Messenger Plus! from the link you posted www.msgpluslive.net/download and it does not show up/work/it fails to load every single time! I have no idea why it wont show up since two of my friends have it and are using it just fine!

So it DOES install the Beta Version IF you know all the hoops someone has had to jump through upon following the links Windows Download Live sets up for you. Its not like I actively searched for the Beta Install because I am fully aware it doesnt work with what I want, Windows Live Install leads you to it after it fails to install!
09-28-2008 06:40 PM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
Ok, try these...

Windows Live Messenger 8.5
Sunshine's Web - Messenger Plus! Live 4.70

This post was edited on 09-28-2008 at 08:26 PM by Spunky.
09-28-2008 08:18 PM
Raya

43 / Female / Flag
Thanks SLM but sadly it all worked out the same for me, but another one of my friends was able to install everything just fine following your links, TYPICAL I find fun stuff and cant play with it! I am thinking it must be something nasty on my computer because now anytime I try and look at my hotmail email account Explorer starts opening up window after window ad nauseum and the only way to stop it is to ctrl alt delete and shut them down that way.
So it looks like I have some nice virus and what started as a Messenger Plus problem was a deeper mess with my OS. I have run a virus check but so far all is reading clear but there has to be something hinky with the Explorer thing the fact I seem to be the only person I know that cant install these two programs and get them to work and I also have two Add Remove Program icons in my control panel and thats just not right.
Anyway thanks for the help but I think I will reinstall XP and hope that sorts things out!

Cheers Raya
09-29-2008 04:06 AM
Spunky
Former Super Mod

36 / Male / Flag
If you do suspect some kind of malware (that is not a virus), try:
Spybot - Search & Destroy

Just a handy little tool I use :p It may save you having to reinstall :p

09-29-2008 11:02 AM
Raya

43 / Female / Flag
Handy! Thanks, I will use your tool often! hehehe ;)
09-29-2008 10:50 PM
AmER

RE: RE: Need some help with MSN 8.5 install
quote:
Originally posted by SpunkyLoveMuff
It DOES not download the BETA version. The  only way to download it is to go to Windows Live Betas...
am sorry to say the opposite but yes it does the SAME SAME SAME thing that raya is saying happened to me
10-12-2008 12:18 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: