What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus slow???

Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
Messenger Plus slow???
Author: Message:
bungee

– / Male / –
RE: Messenger Plus slow???
If you installed with the sponsor programs as I did (inadvertantly!) then you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling without enabling the sponsor as that seems to have fixed it for me!!
Sorry Mr. sponsor, but it works.
01-01-2005 12:14 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
*mgr328*

– / Male / –
ok i will try that and by the way i had to register again because i couldnt look at any of the forums
and i have also got another problem it only happens when i log in on messenger because i have msn 7 you no if there are emoticons in somones name it comes out as a code not the emoticon but if my friends sign in then it is fine the emoticons display as pictures not like :-)

ok when msn is open there is 1mb of ram and when i close it i have about 17mb
i have tried to free the memory but still it goes slow. I am also getting my computer upgraded in a month to a 3 ghz pentium 4 512 mb and windows xp pro i still want 2 fix this problem though because it is very annoying
01-02-2005 12:48 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
f1d0d1d08989

33 / Male / –
Dont really understand what you meant in the second part. But shouldnt the emoticons display as it is, like :) instead of :) in MSN Messenger 7.0 BETA?

Try uninstalling the sponser(if you have it installed), and see whether it works. But I dont think the sponser should be the cause of your problem because I remembered the sponser is running almost all the time, not just only when Plus! is running.

:undecided:
01-02-2005 04:12 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
*mgr328*

– / Male / –
first off i havnt installed the sponsor program and i mean just say a name is :) hello

in msn 7 it should display as
:-) hello

but in mine it is
:) hello

i mean in mine

: ) hello
01-02-2005 08:01 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
Ok, there is much said in this thread, let's put everything back to order...

quote:
Originally posted by mgr328
as i said it also happened to me when i had msn 6.2 and Messenger Plus 3.25 so it cant be that
You still haven't reported if the slowing down problem still exists after you've uninstalled Messenger Plus!...

quote:
Originally posted by Anubis
Make sure that Messenger and Messenger Plus are both running. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click on the tab at the top called processes and look for msmsgs.exe and MsgPlus.exe...make a not of their reading in the Mem Usage column. Then exit out of MSN Messenger (not sign out I mean right click on the Messenger icon and click on exit) and then go back to the MsgPlus.exe process and click on End process...
then start up MSN Messenger and make a note of msmsgs.exe's mem usage...then tell us the results...The following information may also help in solving your problem;
Your computer's rough specifications (including your version of windows and processor speed).
Defragmenting your hard drive may help this problem. To do so do the following...Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Defragmenter > (click on your hard drive most likely C:\) then click Defragment. Please note this may take a while, and is not guaranteed to solve your problem.
The task manager will not give you an accurate reading on the memory usage. You can not see how much memory a program effectivly is using with task manager. Furthermore, the figur would be even less accurate if you have just started the program.

quote:
Originally posted by bungee
When I installed Messenger Plus it went incredibly slow. Once I uninstalled again (which took a long time due to the crippled machine!) it returned to normal. I did NOTHING else in between, so it MUST be Messenger Plus that caused the problem.
Yes and no. If you have a crippled machine, it can still be anything. The fact that uninstalling was slow; took a long time, is a big indicator that something else is (also) wrong, not just Messenger Plus! (as uninstalling is nothing more then some basic windows filehandling stuff). First make sure your PC and Windows is up to date and works perfectly...

quote:
Originally posted by f1d0d1d08989
And, perhaps you can try to use programs to free up your memory so your system can run much faster.
Softwares like RAMBooster can do it.
I suggest to not use ramboosters if your PC and/or Windows isn't running perfectly. How contradicting it may seems, ramboosters can cause more system slowdowns, low performances and strange errors.

quote:
Originally posted by bungee
If you installed with the sponsor programs as I did (inadvertantly!) then you could try uninstalling and then reinstalling without enabling the sponsor as that seems to have fixed it for me!!
Sorry Mr. sponsor, but it works.
There is no difference in performance if MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! is running compared to when they are not running, when the sponsor is installed.

The sponsor is a seperate program and is not influenced by the running of MSN Messenger nor Messenger Plus!, or vice versa. Like someone else said, the sponsor program is running all the time, even when MSN Messenger or Messenger Plus! is not running.

And the problem is not an overall system slowdown, but only a slowdown when MSN Messenger and Messenger Plus! is running...

[OFF TOPIC]
quote:
Originally posted by *mgr328*
ok i will try that and by the way i had to register again because i couldnt look at any of the forums
If you got the error "server load limit has been reached" or you didn't see anything at all, then it had nothing todo with your account. That means that the server was too busy at that moment and nobody could view the forums. You shouldn't had to create a new account...

quote:
and i have also got another problem it only happens when i log in on messenger because i have msn 7 you no if there are emoticons in somones name it comes out as a code not the emoticon but if my friends sign in then it is fine the emoticons display as pictures not like

ok when msn is open there is 1mb of ram and when i close it i have about 17mb
Make another thread for this problem. Otherwise this thread will become a mess...

PS: Do not double post!! It is not allowed, if you want to add something to a previous post, use the [Image: edit.gif] button.
[/OFF TOPIC]

This post was edited on 01-02-2005 at 10:44 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-02-2005 10:41 AM
*mgr328*

– / Male / –
ok well after uninstalling messenger plus everything is just fine and the uninstalling takes very quick (about 2-3 sceonds) i have no idea why its running slow
01-03-2005 12:25 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
ok well after uninstalling messenger plus everything is just fine
You mean that running Messenger is fine, right?

Well if that is the case: when you had Messenger Plus! installed, did you had any plugins installed or other addons?
01-03-2005 01:02 AM
*mgr328*

– / Male / –
once i installed Messenger Plus again i didnt install any plugins/addons and it still went slow then i just installed them all again. But i could try again

THANK U THANK UTHANK U it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post was edited on 01-03-2005 at 01:13 AM by *mgr328*.
01-03-2005 01:04 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
once i installed Messenger Plus again i didnt install any plugins/addons and it still went slow
It's well possible that the plugins where still there. To remove the plugins completely you also must uninstall them individually. Mostly this means just deleting the DLL files, but beware that not all plugins will be completely removed like that; sometimes settings and such are left in the registry. So to completely remove a certain plugin, read the documentation that comes with it.

You also could disable the plugins by checking the option in Messenger Plus!: "Plus! > Preferences > Plugins > Allow Messenger Plus! to load plugins in my account", this requires a restart from MSN Messenger though. In this way you can see if the problem still exists when MSN Messenger AND Messenger Plus! is running, but WITHOUT plugins...

If the above is the case (when plugins are disabled the problem is gone), then the problem is cause by a certain plugin. To find out what plugin, you could enable again the option describe above. And deselect every single plugin in the list. Then select one plugin from the list, click "ok", and restart MSN Messenger, so you only load/use 1 particular plugin at the time. Do this for each plugin and everytime check if the problem occurs...

quote:
THANK U THANK UTHANK U it works !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do you mean you don't have the problem anymore? What exacty did you do? Was it a particular plugin, if so, which one?
01-03-2005 03:43 AM
mgr328

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus slow???
i found out what was cuasing the slowness it was the plugin colornick 2 so i totaly removed that (i still have the other plugins though) uninstalling it and removing the .dll and the folder ps. how do i lock this forum
01-03-2005 07:57 AM
Pages: (3): « First « 1 [ 2 ] 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: