What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Networking Trouble

Networking Trouble
Author: Message:
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. Networking Trouble
Hello, im very new to this networking stuff.

I have 2 computers. One is an XP Machine (the main one) and an ME machine. The main one is hooked up to a Netgear wireless 802.11g router, and the other has a Netgear wireless USB Adapter.

Both can share the internet connection properly and that's fully working...but

I cant connect to it's shared folders. e.g. I can't take files from one PC to another and vice versa. It says that it doesnt exist. Nor can i access the workgroup, even on the main machine, saying that i don't have rights.

Both PC's have NetBIOS enabled and the shared internet connection seems to work OK but i don't know why i can't access the ME machine's shared folders and why the ME machine can't access the XP shared folders.

Thanx for your help.
11-27-2004 01:46 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
saralk
Veteran Member

35 / Male / Flag
RE: Networking Trouble
check on the router's cp to see if there are some permission problems.
The Artist Formerly Known As saralk
London · New York · Paris
Est. 1989
11-27-2004 01:54 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
i seem to also have this problem.. but if you need this option for giving files to another computer really quickly then i have another suggestion that works great for me..

1. Open msn messenger in both computers, different names..

2. Send the file you want on the other computer.

(you will have really fast speed like 3000kb/s or something because its in the network..)

so that is how i send my files to another computer..

I maniged to send arount 650 mbs in 1 minute to another computer this why
11-27-2004 02:30 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
The easiest way I found is to run the Windows XP Networking Wizard. This will create a setup.exe file that you can copy to a floppy and it will install the proper settings for shared files.

On both machines make sure you have Printer and File sharing installed. (Start > Control Panel > Network Connections > Properties of the Connection)

The other is to make sure that both workgroup names are the same on both computers. If not then they are, in a sense, on two different networks.
11-27-2004 02:47 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
frankiedaman

35 / – / –
O.P. RE: Networking Trouble
Matty, the Networking Wizard is what i used before to set it up. I've used the floppy disk in the ME machine and it installed OK, thats how i got the internet connection sharing working but transferring files doesnt work. Both PCs have the same workgroup name, so i don't think this is the problem

Durex, thanks for the suggestion. I'll use this method for now until i can get this problem fixed. :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(EDIT : Don't worry about it, the problem fixed now. I had to enable full access on the IPs the router uses. Thanx everyone for your help. :))

This post was edited on 11-27-2004 at 05:21 PM by frankiedaman.
11-27-2004 03:22 PM
.Roy
Veteran Member

20 / Male / –
quote:
(EDIT : Don't worry about it, the problem fixed now. I had to enable full access on the IPs the router uses. Thanx everyone for your help. :))

:-) Good Job :-P
11-27-2004 07:51 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: