What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Messenger Plus slow???

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Messenger Plus slow???
Author: Message:
mgr328

O.P. Huh?  Messenger Plus slow???
Hi everyone well everything is fine when msn is not open but when i open msn my whole computer seems to slow down heres and example. When i click on the start button its like forever untill it comes up then just say i went to programs the same thing happens. I have noticed that this only happens when Messenger Plus is installed.I use to have msn 6.2 with Messenger Plus 3.25 and that slowed down my computer the same thing happened when i got msn 7 beta and Messenger Plus 3.40 beta. i have windows me, 1ghz pentium celeron and 128 mb or ram please help me.
01-01-2005 02:10 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
RE: Messenger Plus slow???
Did you tried it without Messenger Plus! loaded? Because there are addons that can cause this kind of slowdown (eg, smileycentral kind of things, or even InfoPen is known to cause this slowdown, etc...). Normaly Messenger Plus! will not cause this...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2005 04:55 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
mgr328

O.P. RE: Messenger Plus slow???
what do you mean
01-01-2005 04:57 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
disable Messenger Plus! for starting up. And for a while test your Messenger without the use of Plus!. The easiest way to do this is to just uninstall Messenger Plus! (but keep your settings)....

This post was edited on 01-01-2005 at 05:11 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
01-01-2005 05:10 AM
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
Make sure if you are using Messenger Plus! Beta that you have the lastest build because earlier versions had a memory leak.
01-01-2005 06:58 AM
mgr328

as i said it also happened to me when i had msn 6.2 and Messenger Plus 3.25 so it cant be that
01-01-2005 09:45 AM
Anubis
Elite Member

34 / Male / Flag
Make sure that Messenger and Messenger Plus are both running. Hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete, click on the tab at the top called processes and look for msmsgs.exe and MsgPlus.exe...make a not of their reading in the Mem Usage column. Then exit out of MSN Messenger (not sign out I mean right click on the Messenger icon and click on exit) and then go back to the MsgPlus.exe process and click on End process...
then start up MSN Messenger and make a note of msmsgs.exe's mem usage...then tell us the results...The following information may also help in solving your problem;
Your computer's rough specifications (including your version of windows and processor speed).
Defragmenting your hard drive may help this problem. To do so do the following...Start > All Programs > Accessories > System tools > Disk Defragmenter > (click on your hard drive most likely C:\) then click Defragment. Please note this may take a while, and is not guaranteed to solve your problem.
[Image: anubis5hq.png]
01-01-2005 10:27 AM
mgr328

ok first of all i have windows me so i cant give you the mem usage my specs are windows me processor speed 1ghz and 128 mb ram if it also helps i have adsl i have also tried to defragment my hard drive a few weeks ago but no luck
01-01-2005 10:49 AM
bungee

– / Male / –
This happened to me too. I'm using Windows 2000 professional. When I installed Messenger Plus it went incredibly slow. Once I uninstalled again (which took a long time due to the crippled machine!) it returned to normal. I did NOTHING else in between, so it MUST be Messenger Plus that caused the problem.
01-01-2005 12:03 PM
f1d0d1d08989

33 / Male / –
If you are on Windows ME, try using this program(FreeMeter) to try the steps Anubis suggested.
http://www.download.com/FreeMeter/3000-2086_4-103...1.html?tag=lst-0-1

Although this program just shows the total memory you have, but in your case, if even the Start button takes a long time to load, there should be a big difference during Plus! and MSN Messenger is loaded and not loaded. Try whether you can see the memory usage difference with this program first, and tell us the results...

And, perhaps you can try to use programs to free up your memory so your system can run much faster.
Softwares like RAMBooster can do it.
http://www.download.com/RAMBooster/3000-2086_4-14....html?tag=lst-0-11

EDIT: I am not working with these companies, so if your PC crashes and result in system data loss after using these programs, dont come along finding me!! :grin::grin:...But they shouldnt.

This post was edited on 01-02-2005 at 11:07 AM by f1d0d1d08989.
01-01-2005 12:06 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: