What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » General » General Chit Chat » Microsoft targets "Pirates!"

Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
Microsoft targets "Pirates!"
Author: Message:
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. Microsoft targets "Pirates!"

I don't know if this is posted b4 but I'm posting it n e ways.

By Jay Wrolstad
NewsFactor Network
January 26, 2005 11:19AM

Microsoft is launching an anti-piracy campaign that will require users to verify that their copies of Windows are genuine. Visitors to the Microsoft download center and Windows update site will be required to register with the company's Genuine Advantage program.
Hoping to stem the losses caued by unscrupulous software counterfeiters, Microsoft is launching an anti-piracy initiative that, among other things, requires all Windows users to verify that their copies of the software are legitimate.
This initiative is based on the Windows Genuine Advantage program, which checks the authenticity of a user's software and regulates access to Windows XP products.

Concern for Foreign Countries

Starting in the second half of 2005, visitors to the Microsoft download center and Windows update site will be required to register with Genuine Advantage to access all content. The site locks do not apply to ongoing automatic software updates.

According to Microsoft, some 5 million people have joined the Genuine Advantage program voluntarily since its inception in September. In taking the next step to thwart software piracy , the program will expand to include 20 new language versions of Windows XP. To access genuine Windows content, download center users with Norwegian, Czech and simplified Chinese language versions of Windows will be required to participate in the pilot program.

Microsoft also is offering a reduced-price copy of Windows to those in the People's Republic of China, Norway and the Czech Republic who can verify they have been sold a bogus edition of the software.

Piracy Costs Billions

Software firms are losing big to piracy. In 2003, some 36 percent of the software installed on computers worldwide -- valued at US$29 billion -- was copied or distributed illegally, according to a study released by the Business Software Alliance (BSA).

"Piracy has been a problem since the inception of the software industry, and it continues to grow," said Bob Kruger, vice president for enforcement at BSA. "The broad implications are fewer jobs, less R&D and innovation in the industry and, ultimately, a depressing effect on local and national economies."

The findings indicate that the size of a regional software market is related directly to piracy rates and monetary losses. An estimated 91 percent of software installed in the Ukraine in 2003 was pirated, for example, as compared to 30 percent in the UK. But dollar losses in the UK ($1.6 billion) were 17 times higher than those in the Ukraine ($92.1 million).

Reputation Suffers

As the world's biggest software provider, Microsoft is the favored target of those selling counterfeit software, Yankee Group analyst Laura DiDio notes.

"Not only are they are losing lots of money, but the company's reputation is damaged when customers think they are getting the genuine product and receive a bad copy of software," she told NewsFactor. "They are fighting back, with the Trustworthy Computing effort and by offering rewards for the apprehension of hackers. This is another step in that direction."

more info here...
http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=30006
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
02-02-2005 04:41 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
toddy
Veteran Member

kcus uoy

– / Male / Flag
RE: Microsoft targets "Pirates!"
heard about ti before

and experienced it :P good job i have a real copy of xp :) bet lots of people can't download updates no more :P
02-02-2005 04:44 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
Purity
Veteran Member

AngelFuck

34 / Female / –
O.P. RE: Microsoft targets "Pirates!"
I have a real copy of XP also....I think :\  My dad doesn't tho...:P
[Image: puritysig8.jpg/]
www.purity.toastednet.org
02-02-2005 04:45 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
azn angel

rawr

– / Female / –
i dont think i do..i think its registered to the people we bought this computer from...mm im pretty sure i dont have a legal copy actually..
TREKIE IS MY HOMEBOY <3
02-02-2005 08:25 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user27089
Disabled Account

I don't have a copy, its legit... I have the windows xp book though :banana:... I didn't get a disk from PC World... I was so naive when we bought the computer...

[edit]
Yeah, I have an authenticity label on my pc...

This post was edited on 02-02-2005 at 11:37 AM by user27089.
02-02-2005 11:34 AM
.blade//
Veteran Member

35 / Male / –
My copy of Windows isn't legit simply because of the gay activation thing. My CD key had to be used 4 times on my other PC because of some problems which required me to re-format. After re-formatting I had to re-activate. After 4 activations my CD key was nolonger valid so I had to turn to a crack.

Basically, I'm BONED :dodgy:.

This post was edited on 02-02-2005 at 05:41 PM by .blade//.
[Image: A%20Pointy%20Rock.jpg]
02-02-2005 05:35 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
_Humphreys
Veteran Member

24 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by blade
My copy of Windows isn't legit simply because of the gay activation thing. My CD key had to be 4 times on my other PC because of some problems which required me to re-format. After re-formatting I had to re-activate. After 4 activations my CD key is nolonger valid.

Basically, I'm BONED :dodgy: .

Yep Microsoft are crazy like that.. good ol' 98 backs me up incase of emergencys. :P

* _Humphreys cuddles the 98 disk.
AC3
02-02-2005 05:39 PM
user13774
Disabled Account

[Image: 1093545871.jpg]

I think they're doing the right thing. It's good though that they let people who don't own a legal copy download critical updates.
02-02-2005 06:12 PM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
Well i kinda dont care but.. why do they need more money anyway!!?? I think their efforts to fight piracy are not needed at leastfor them.. yeah that doesnt give the right to people steal their work but people are in some way obligated to use it..
And there will be ways to bypass that people are always finding ways to do so.. so i odnt care.. when i buy a new computer it wont come with windows unless when i buy my computer "longhorn" is already out..

This post was edited on 02-02-2005 at 07:02 PM by paperless.
02-02-2005 06:59 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
user35870
Disabled Account

what happens then when you go onto the update site and say if you have a copy will it lock windows or somein?
02-02-2005 07:06 PM
Pages: (3): « First [ 1 ] 2 3 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: