What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Help » Manual decrypting of chat logs

Manual decrypting of chat logs
Author: Message:
priegog

37 / Male / –
O.P. Manual decrypting of chat logs
The situation is this.
Until now I have not used the MsgPlus! encryption thing, but instead I used to add the archive folders into an encrypted zip file. For a really nasty accident I now prefer to use the encryption but I would like to be able to decrypt those files in bunch before adding them to the zip file. I know it's crazy, but for specific chat serching capabilities, I would not like to have those files doubly-encripted. Is there a way to do that (witout manually moving everything into the main chat folder and entering preferences, etc, etc etc.)??
05-30-2005 07:29 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
RE: Manual decrypting of chat logs
Nope, no other way then the one you already mentioned:
Move current logs in to other folder...move logs from older month into current logfolder and decrypt.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
05-30-2005 08:10 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
priegog

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Manual decrypting of chat logs
Well, thanks... It would be nice (and i believe quite simple, also) if patchou compiled that little piece of software as a stand alone app... I'll post it in the suggestions forum and see how many support my idea
05-30-2005 08:53 PM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
This is the suggestions forum, and since you made this suggestion in this thread, you don't need to make another thread for it though...

However, I very strongly doubt Patchou will make something like this. Afterall, if such an application is made, it would be much easier to abuse it and try to brute force decrypting on logs (aka hacking logs) than it would be now with Messenger Plus!.

Also, the fact that there are no other official "supporting" applications for Messenger Plus!, while on the same time many could have been created by Patchou.

So I wouldn't get my hopes up for something like this...

-------

In fact, encrypting all your logs with the method you described can be done very quickly if you're somewhat handy with the PC, and know how to make batch files:

Make a batch file which:
1) Backs up everything that is in your main log folder
2) Empty the main log folder
3) Renames all your files in all your subfolders according to the subfolder they're in and moves them to the main folder (eg "\july 2003\me@blah.com.txt" becomes "july 2003.me@blah.com.txt")

And at this point all you have to do is to go to your Plus! encryption preferences and change the password and confirm it...

After that, let another batch file:
1) rename and move all the .PLE files back to their previous subfolder...
2) restore the original main log folder from the back up

PS: all this can also be done by programming some small simple tool in any language though...

This post was edited on 05-30-2005 at 10:13 PM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-30-2005 09:57 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
priegog

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: Manual decrypting of chat logs
Oh, that's a good idea... But as I said, it doesn't solve the fact that the files are not "searchable" by anything else than the filename.
I can see your concern about making it easier to brute force-decrypt a file with such an app, but hey, If somebody really wanted to he wouldn't need that app.. And as long as you have a pretty long and complicated password, with the 128-bit encryption it's hard to think anyone would have such a powerful PC to do it. BUT, you gave me an idea. I'll go seach somewhere if there is an AES decryption app... not sure how i would make it work with these special individual text files MsgPlus! creates tho...
05-31-2005 05:44 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by priegog
Oh, that's a good idea... But as I said, it doesn't solve the fact that the files are not "searchable" by anything else than the filename.
And that would never be solved. It's one of the "downsides" of encryption in general, that isn't just a Plus!-thing.

quote:
I can see your concern about making it easier to brute force-decrypt a file with such an app, but hey, If somebody really wanted to he wouldn't need that app..
Nope, but simply the fact that it would be a tad easier makes it a no-do.

quote:
And as long as you have a pretty long and complicated password, with the 128-bit encryption it's hard to think anyone would have such a powerful PC to do it. BUT, you gave me an idea. I'll go seach somewhere if there is an AES decryption app... not sure how i would make it work with these special individual text files MsgPlus! creates tho...
You can't make it work. Patchou uses his own encryption method, it isn't an existing one...
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
05-31-2005 10:21 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
priegog

37 / Male / –
O.P. RE: RE: Manual decrypting of chat logs
quote:
Originally posted by CookieRevised
]And that would never be solved. It's one of the "downsides" of encryption in general, that isn't just a Plus!-thing.
You can't make it work. Patchou uses his own encryption method, it isn't an existing one...

Well, what i do with the zip file is just decrypt everything to a folder whenever I want to seach for a specific part of a conversation.
So, I guess I'm screwed then. I'll have to do the manual decrypting thing every month.
So I leave this suggestoin open for whenever Patchou decides there is nothing more to improve in MsgPlus! (And I believe he is pretty damn close)

Thanks for the help anyways!
05-31-2005 02:52 PM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: