What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » PSP & eBay

PSP & eBay
Author: Message:
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. PSP & eBay
right, i've been looking on ebay at the PSP's as you do and a lot of them talk about the firmware etc etc... (most of them saying 1.5)

they say multilanguage handset etc etc and they are from japan....

some of them say they play anything from any country etc etc

what i wanna know is would it matter where the psp comes from if i do buy one off ebay? cause i dont wanna end up having a japanese console:P

what games would people recommend also :)

Thanks

[Image: lost7ru.gif]
09-03-2005 05:51 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
RE: PSP & eBay
no idea about the region stuff but for recommended games, World Championship Snooker 2005

i never thought snooker could be so damn addictive, its so amazingly suited to psp as well :P
09-03-2005 05:53 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
PSP games are not region coded. You can import games or a PSP from anywhere and they will work together.

The UMD movies are region coded in a similar fasion to DVD-Videos, but unless you will actually use UMD Video, this won't affect you. IMO UMD Video is stupid. You could buy a DVD-Video edition of a movie for less, and in much higher quality, with more playability.

The Japanese PSPs are made using a TFT screen manufactured by Sharp. PSPs for AU and US regions are made using a cheaper screen from Samsung, which is reportedly lower quality.

All PSPs are multi language. When you turn it on for the first time, it asks you which language you would like to use, and the language option is always available in the settings menu.

Recomended games (with no first hand experience):
  • Ridge Racer
  • Need For Speed Rivals
  • GTA Liberty City Stories (not released yet)
  • TOCA Race Driver (V8 Supercars Race Driver)

Also get a large memory stick for all your music and video (and games if your lucky).

The 1.0 and 1.5 PSPs can run unsigned code, meaning that developers can make their own programs and games for it to be run from memory stick. Currently launchers for multiple retail games from memory stick, enhanced music players, emulators for other systems (play Nintendo games on your PSP), and calender/organiser programs are available, along with others. Later version PSPs have been blocked from using unsigned code, version 2.0 has a web browser.

This post was edited on 09-04-2005 at 01:49 AM by rav0.
| [Image: dorsh] |

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-04-2005 01:43 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: PSP & eBay
ouch, so its a choice between running my VBA and Snesz or w.e. its called OR browse the net *-).... i'll take internet... is there a way round the unsigned code thing though?

09-04-2005 09:50 AM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
There isn't a way around the code signing yet. Hackers are working on it, and also the possibility of downgrading firmware; install 1.5 to use custom apps, and 2.0 when you want better Wifi, AVC Video and a web browser, though the first would be better.

The 2.0 firmware has WPA protection for WiFi (as opposed to the obsolete WEP) and support for AVC video, which is better quality but still not full resolution.

Remember that there is an exploit in the game Wipeout Fusion to access the web, regardless of PSP version. There is a browser only ripkit available for it as well. It removes all the unneccessary data from the game, leaving only what is needed for the web browser exploit, so you put it on a memory stick, and use it to browse the web, without taking the actual game with you (just about 10 MB of files on memory stick).

This post was edited on 09-05-2005 at 05:18 AM by rav0.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination
09-04-2005 10:13 AM
M73A
Veteran Member

34 / Male / Flag
O.P. RE: PSP & eBay
hmmm i think im just going to use 2.0, im not to bothered about emulators etc, just it would be cool:P ... my wireless network has WPA on it so i'll just sit browsing the net around the house when i do get one...

sorry to be a pain:P just i like to know what i'm buying before i spend £200:D lol

09-04-2005 12:07 PM
rav0
Veteran Member

i have an avatar

34 / Male / Flag
In case you missed the post by paperless, a downgrader for PSP is almost out.

See http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=4956 for more (extremely hyped) information.

(\ /)
(O.o)
(> <)

09-06-2005 11:02 AM
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: