What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Tech Talk » Be Aware!

Be Aware!
Author: Message:
Editor

62 / Male / –
O.P. Be Aware!
OK  a little background been on this PC internet game a good few years now so am no green horn...

But I got caught out being half asleep is/was no excuse (am getting to it)

Well there I was streaming avi clips and it came to a certain one clicked on it and what happened (come on get on with it I hear you saying)

Well remember I was half asleep .... Windows media player said to watch this clip properly you need to download this codec (I have all the codecs you would ever need from the kazzalite codecpack) but it didn't register at the time so I downloaded the codec and installed it well hell broke out both firewalls ( one was a NAT) went berzerk and virus scanner could not cope so i spent the day and night formatting and reinstalling everything....

REMEMBER THIS the avi was playing in windows media player and it was that avi that had the link on it for the codec but being asleep I made a mistake and believe me I don't make mistakes (till that time thought i'de say it before anyone else)

This is for your info only (hope it helps to stop it happening to someone else.....

Me being Security Admin on many Servers:wink:
Have a good time always!
Editor (AKA) Godfather
http://www.woodclanland.co.uk  (My Web)
09-15-2005 01:57 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
RE: Be Aware!
Huh?! :|
09-15-2005 02:27 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Editor
OK  a little background been on this PC internet game a good few years now so am no green horn...

But I got caught out being half asleep is/was no excuse (am getting to it)

Well there I was streaming avi clips and it came to a certain one clicked on it and what happened (come on get on with it I hear you saying)

Well remember I was half asleep .... Windows media player said to watch this clip properly you need to download this codec (I have all the codecs you would ever need from the kazzalite codecpack) but it didn't register at the time so I downloaded the codec and installed it well hell broke out both firewalls ( one was a NAT) went berzerk and virus scanner could not cope so i spent the day and night formatting and reinstalling everything....

REMEMBER THIS the avi was playing in windows media player and it was that avi that had the link on it for the codec but being asleep I made a mistake and believe me I don't make mistakes (till that time thought i'de say it before anyone else)

This is for your info only (hope it helps to stop it happening to someone else.....

Me being Security Admin on many Servers:wink:
re type that so it makes sense b/c i dont uinderstand what you are trying to say
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
09-15-2005 03:03 AM
qgroessl
Veteran Member

33 / – / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR
re type that so it makes sense b/c i dont uinderstand what you are trying to say

I THINK all he's trying to say is that he downloaded some sort of .avi file that said he needed to download a codec for windows media player... and without thinking he went to the website, downloaded it... and it ended up being a virus.
09-15-2005 03:06 AM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
[MR]
Veteran Member

Scruffy Ruffy

34 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by qgroessl
quote:
Originally posted by MR_5_MR

I THINK all he's trying to say is that he downloaded some sort of .avi file that said he needed to download a codec for windows media player... and without thinking he went to the website, downloaded it... and it ended up being a virus.
o i see well to get rid of the virus use sytem restore or get a good anti virus or somthing like that

This post was edited on 09-15-2005 at 03:09 AM by [MR].
[Image: siggy20ss.jpg]
09-15-2005 03:08 AM
paperless
Veteran Member

Saved by the bell

34 / Male / Flag
That " experience " wont help us at all.

Everyone knows that you hsouldnt download files from sources you dont exactly trust or atleast downloading and not having an antivirus to scan it.
09-15-2005 03:11 AM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: