What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! General » Sort souds

Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
Sort souds
Author: Message:
sourivore

O.P. Huh?  Sort souds
Does somebody know if there is a way to sort the sounds in msg+?
Bacause 5 directories is pretty little and with a lot of sounds, it is difficult to find one.

Thanks a lot.
09-28-2005 08:19 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
RE: Sort souds
if you ahev the new version
http://download.msgplus.net/files/MsgPlus-360.exe
then that hjas languages. Also click that little speaker and click Add/Edit.... and you can preview em there to see em.
09-28-2005 08:21 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
sourivore

O.P. RE: Sort souds
With their new version, there is always 5 categories.
Then it is not the answer of my question, sorry!
09-28-2005 08:26 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well sorry so far there is not anything that can add more categories. Exactly what categories would you want to add? Mayeb if its  a good category patchou might add it in :)
09-28-2005 08:28 PM
sourivore

O.P. RE: Sort souds
It is not a category in particular but the possibility of creating categories.
In this case, find a sound among hundreds will be more easy!
It is a real problem for some people I know.
09-28-2005 08:31 PM
prashker
Veteran Member

– / Male / –
Well the reason i said that is because those categories are stored on the server. And if you make one it would have to be added. And that means if your the only one to use that there will be no point. Maybe there could be sub categories maybe for Catoons maybe

---Cartoons
Simpsons
etc.

But maybe you could clean up your sounds. Maybe you have alot you dont use. And it could make the list smaller.
09-28-2005 08:34 PM
Patchou
Messenger Plus! Creator

43 / Male / Flag
I'm still thinking for ways to better organise the sound library, just check out the next versions :).
[Image: signature2.gif]
09-28-2005 08:47 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
sourivore

O.P. Wink  RE: Sort souds
Great!
If you don't want to create a lot of directories on the server, you may save sounds like things like "Cats@@separator@@Big_Miaou.mp3" instead of create directory Cats on the server and put the sound Big_Miaou.mp3 into.
In this case, the user will have the illusion to have directories but it is not the way it is saved.

Was I clear?

It is just an idea, you are the king, Patchou! :banana:

This post was edited on 09-30-2005 at 09:07 AM by sourivore.
09-30-2005 08:57 AM
CookieRevised
Elite Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by sourivore
If you don't want to create a lot of directories on the server, you may save sounds like things like "Cats@@separator@@Big_Miaou.mp3" instead of create directory Cats on the server and put the sound Big_Miaou.mp3 into.
The issue is not if he wants to create directories on his server or not.

The issue is how to keep things compatible and meaningfull on a global scale...

* When you add categories, people with the New Plus! could make them. If they are stored like that, people with an older Plus! version can't see them and might 'update' the properties of the sounds with the wrong (old) categories again.
* If personal customized categories are made available and stored globally, then every user can make up their own categories. But this also means users can screw up the whole universal category-idea.
* If personal customized categories are made available, but only stored locally, users might just use the local categories and forget about assigning a global category. Again, screwing up the whole idea of categories.
* A sound can be in one category for one user, but in another for another user. What to save to the server?
* etc... etc...

So, it isn't as straitforward as simply the question of "to add directories on the server or not" though ;)

---

The "solution" I see is either creating more pre-defined categories (although I don't know which ones without shifting a bit into the existing ones). But this has the negative side-effect that people using an older Plus! version and downloading these sounds will see "Unknown" and might update the sound again with one of the older categories.

Or iether allowing to locally define their own subcategories, but with a mandatory main category of the ones that exist today. This subcategory should only be stored in the sound library on not in the files. The people using an older Plus! version will still see the main category. The viewing/sorting of the categories should also be done on main category first to avoid people making their own subcategories which don't belong in a main category and thus assigning a wrong main category for the other people.

This post was edited on 09-30-2005 at 10:44 AM by CookieRevised.
.-= A 'frrrrrrrituurrr' for Wacky =-.
09-30-2005 10:36 AM
brian

– / Male / –
I think he should simply make the custom category's clientside.

This post was edited on 09-30-2005 at 10:43 AM by brian.
09-30-2005 10:43 AM
Pages: (2): « First [ 1 ] 2 » Last »
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: