What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Messenger Plus! for Live Messenger » WLM Plus! Bug Reports » Multiple .NET plugins

Multiple .NET plugins
Author: Message:
J-Thread

– / Male / –
O.P. Multiple .NET plugins
It has been discussed a few times in the Plugins section of this forums, but I'll post it here because I'm almost sure it really is a bug in msg plus! and not a fault of the plugin developers.

I think there is a bug in the way plus is loading the .NET plugins (I've tested it with C#, but I think the problem also occurs with VB.NET). In the first place, if you place them in the Plugins! dir you get an error about "multiple instances of mscoree.dll loaded". That's because plus loads the plugin in it's memory, and when calling the namespace (as you should in VB6 for example) it is loaded again.

That problem is easy to solve, you can A) ignore the error, restart msn another time and it works or B) install the plugin in another directory and register it using the /codebase option.

But the main problem is, you cannot run multiple .NET plugins in the same time. As soon as you install 2 or more, only the one that has been installed first loads, and the other plugins just don't appear in the plugins menu or anywhere else. You don't get an error or something.

The solution isn't very hard as far as I know, it has got something to do with loading the dll's not in the default namespace or so. Maybe n0n4m3 (though he had an idea how to do it) or anybody else can help with that (or patchou can figure it out himselve).

If it isn't a bug, please tell us how to install and register etc. .NET plugins properly, because I've tested it so often, and it never worked. However it is possible to get multiple .NET plugins running, I had it once, but that seemed to be co-incidence because I tried it again in the exact same way and it didn't work anymore... Read here how I am installing plugins...
12-26-2005 02:30 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
matty
Scripting Guru

39 / Male / Flag
RE: Multiple .NET plugins
Since MP!L is being coded from scratch it probably means the plugin infastructure will be as well. So wait until its released to see if it fixes the problem.

Edit: Thanks LJ

This post was edited on 12-26-2005 at 05:27 PM by matty.
12-26-2005 04:27 PM
Eljay
Elite Member

:O

– / Male / –
quote:
Originally posted by Matty
WLM is being coded from scratch

i assume you mean MP!L?
12-26-2005 05:18 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
J-Thread

– / Male / –
O.P. RE: Multiple .NET plugins
Ok, but isn't it better to tell patchou there's a bug in it before he's doing it wrong another time?(Y)
12-27-2005 08:58 AM
L. Coyote

Captain Obvious

38 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by J-Thread
Ok, but isn't it better to tell patchou there's a bug in it before he's doing it wrong another time?(Y)
Remember they'll be testing it, so Matty (or some other BT) can simply create some sample .NET plugins (or you send them yours, if they're still compatible) and try them out.

This post was edited on 12-27-2005 at 01:15 PM by L. Coyote.

Hack, hack, hack!
Finally became a Systems Analyst! :spam:

12-27-2005 01:15 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: