What happened to the Messenger Plus! forums on msghelp.net?
Shoutbox » MsgHelp Archive » Skype & Technology » Skype & Live Messenger » Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?

Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?
Author: Message:
Safihre

O.P. Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?
Yesterday I installed WLM on my laptop, I signed in and everything worked fine..
I got the usual pop-ups from Plus! and WLM.. One of them was the question if I wanted to use Shared Folders on this system, I have them on my main PC so I switched them on.
With a couple of my contacts I already had Sharing Folders on my main PC.
After a while I got a message from WLM asking me if I wanted to have Sharing Folders with 1 of those contacts.. while that contact was still offline! Just for fun I started a conversation with him and he told me he had just signed in as Appear Offline.. And the exact same happened with all those other contacts, because all of them sign in as Appear Offline..

So WLM sends some kind of "sync" signal on sign in to the people you have Sharing Folders with... Is there a way to "catch" that signal? Like a long time ago: You could know if someone started a conversation because MSN sends a request for the DP which could be intercepted.

Anyone with real knowledge about these things, who knows if you could actually make a app/plugin that could tell me if my contacts are appearing offline? Even if it's just for the contacts you have sharing folders with, it still would be quite funny (6)

This post was edited on 02-14-2007 at 07:36 PM by Safihre.
02-14-2007 07:35 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Find Quote Report
Zahid™

– / Male / Flag
RE: Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?
I'm sure there is still now way of knowing because the whole purpose of appearing offline is so your contacts don't know that you're online.
[Image: Zahid.png]
02-14-2007 07:38 PM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
Safihre

O.P. RE: RE: Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?
quote:
Originally posted by Zahid™
I'm sure there is still now way of knowing because the whole purpose of appearing offline is so your contacts don't know that you're online.

But if WLM sends a signal.. There's gotta be a way to catch it.. *-)

At least it's worth a try...

This post was edited on 02-14-2007 at 08:12 PM by Safihre.
02-14-2007 08:12 PM
Oxy
Veteran Member

30 / Male / Flag
Im pretty sure that the appear offline signal is the same sent as the offline signal.
[Image: dotlukas.gif]
02-14-2007 08:15 PM
Safihre

O.P. RE: RE: Idea for a "Appear offline"-checker?
quote:
Originally posted by .OxY
Im pretty sure that the appear offline signal is the same sent as the offline signal.

...I'm a bit suprised. I'm not talking about a status signal... but about some Shared Folders-checksignal.

Hope at least someone can give me an answer that's really about this*-)
02-14-2007 08:50 PM
Sunshine
Elite Member

– / Female / Flag
Why ohh why can't people accept the fact that sometimes their contacts don't want them to see them...

There's a million reasons to temp block someone and there's a million reasons to be on appear offline or sign in appear offline. If we would be able to check all that (wich we can't for technical reasons) these options would be rendered useless wouldn't they?

If people are on appear offline and they want to talk to you surely they'll message you.
[Image: 25dr3o9]
02-14-2007 08:57 PM
Profile E-Mail PM Web Find Quote Report
MicroWay

Do you want me? Try to get me!

36 / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by Sunshine
Why ohh why can't people accept the fact that sometimes their contacts don't want them to see them...

There's a million reasons to temp block someone and there's a million reasons to be on appear offline or sign in appear offline. If we would be able to check all that (wich we can't for technical reasons) these options would be rendered useless wouldn't they?

If people are on appear offline and they want to talk to you surely they'll message you.

Agree!!! (Y)

And completing that there is a lots of posts and question about this, but no method that REALY works 100% appeared...
So... I realy doubt that there is a way... but...
02-14-2007 09:55 PM
Profile PM Find Quote Report
bhailu0215

i dun agree with dis...i mean there has to be a way...
"If we would be able to check all that (wich we can't for technical reasons) these options would be rendered useless wouldn't they?"...no they wouldn't be useless...bcaz there many many technological stuff out there which people dont knw abot....such as hecking into other computers...many people has their files stored, protected by password security but they still do get stolen and they lose info...so...
so probably there is a way to figuring out if some1 is appear offline or not...

This post was edited on 12-31-2007 at 01:47 AM by bhailu0215.
12-31-2007 01:46 AM
Lou
Veteran Member

– / Male / Flag
quote:
Originally posted by bhailu0215
i dun agree with dis...i mean there has to be a way...
"If we would be able to check all that (wich we can't for technical reasons) these options would be rendered useless wouldn't they?"...no they wouldn't be useless...bcaz there many many technological stuff out there which people dont knw abot....such as hecking into other computers...many people has their files stored, protected by password security but they still do get stolen and they lose info...so...
so probably there is a way to figuring out if some1 is appear offline or not...
Even if it were possibly (though you don't believe it's not, regardless of the information available to prove that it is not) it wouldn't be allowed on these boards. That's a breach of people's privacy and shouldn't be tolerated. I'll report this thread and request it to be closed.
[Image: msghelp.net.png]
The future holds bright things in it\\\'s path, but only time will tell what they are and where they come from.
Messenger Stuff Forums
12-31-2007 01:55 AM
Profile PM Web Find Quote Report
« Next Oldest Return to Top Next Newest »

Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
View a Printable Version
Send this Thread to a Friend
Subscribe | Add to Favorites
Rate This Thread: